Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small HTML or possibly java problem.

Question A small HTML or possibly java problem.

A small but annoying problem.

I have recently uploaded my website to a free hosting site at t35.com. Everything looks fine when it is viewed remotely via a browser in the usual way - but one annoying problem. When I type the full domain name in my browser to view the site remotely the main index.htm page loads but the images sometimes fail to appear . If I use the full path to the index.htm file the page loads fine, including the images with no problems.

I have tried using full web paths to all the images, checked capitalization within the HTML document and I have also tried renaming the index.htm to index.html - all to no avail. I understand the server is using an apache web server and it should be looking to default to index.htm anyway. The page contains some java rollover features and I am wondering if this is the cause of the error or could it be a server side problem?

There is probably a small fix for this but I cannot find it. Any advice would help me enormously

Domain name - intermittent fault
    default index.htm here - working

Thanks.
    Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.

Seems to work fine from my browser (IE6).

I clicked on both links and neither gave me a problem with the images.

Edit: I also hit refresh a couple of times to see if it would change anything, and that didn't give me any problems either.

The Iceman Cometh
    Hate to break this to ya... but neither work for me... both show up with an image of "Goo" taken from the Google web site, and nothing else... That supposed to happen?

AJ

Yeah thats happening all the time. I'm assuming the google logo is loaded if there is a problem loading the correct image. Maybe I'm wrong.

Both links worked fine for me (IE6 also). I clicked on each of the links within the main page, and they seemed to work correctly also.

The Iceman Cometh
    I checked out the source of the index.htm, and it doesn't look like the images you're trying to load exist. I tried copyinga few of the locations of the image files and queried them and they don't seem to exist. Have you made web pages before? What did you use to make it? It's possible that when you uploaded the page, the images weren't uploaded to the proper place... Also, somewhat related, are you sure that your web site host allows Java Script? Did you test it locally before posting it to ensure that, in case it does support Java Script, that you don't have any errors in your Script? Just some suggestions you may want to look into....

AJ

Tested about 20 times in IE 6.0 http://vorpel.t35.com/ and http://vorpel.t35.com -- No problems

Tested about 20 times in Netscape 4.72 http://vorpel.t35.com/ worked most of the time-- http://vorpel.t35.com usually caused netscape to crash. But I think that is just because it is netscape.

Looks good btw.
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

Hi mom!
    Try using this in your source. It will make sure that the base-path which is used in your code is correct (don't know if it'll work with the javascripts though). It should be located between the <head> tags.

Code:
    <BASE href="http://vorpel.t35.com/index.htm">
    > more info <
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

str34m3r
    Well, I don't know if this would cause the problems that you're experiencing, but you don't seem to ever close the tags with a . Since these tags are how you're controlling the mouseovers, they might cause those quirky problems. You just never know how a broswer will handle incorrect tags.

Here's source code from a page I once wrote in case it helps. It seemed to work.
    Code:
    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    function onto_zero() {
    	document.images[0].src='images/HomeOver.gif';
    }
    function offof_zero() {
    	document.images[0].src='images/Home.gif';
    }
    function onto_one() {
    	document.images[1].src='images/InformationOver.gif';
    }
    function offof_one() {
    	document.images[1].src='images/Information.gif';
    }
    function onto_two() {
    	document.images[2].src='images/ResourcesOver.gif';
    }
    function offof_two() {
    	document.images[2].src='images/Resources.gif';
    }
    if (document.images) {
    	pic1= new Image(140,35);
    	pic1.src="images/HomeOver.gif";
    	pic2= new Image(140,35);
    	pic2.src="images/InformationOver.gif";
    	pic3= new Image(140,35);
    	pic3.src="images/ResourcesOver.gif";
    } 
    </script>

... blah ... blah ... blah ...

<a href="index.html" onmouseover="onto_zero()" onmouseout="offof_zero()">
    [img]images/Home.gif[/img]</a>

<a href="InfoMenu.html" onmouseover="onto_one()" onmouseout="offof_one()">
    [img]images/Information.gif[/img]</a>

<a href="ResourceMenu.html" onmouseover="onto_two()" onmouseout="offof_two()">
    [img]images/Resources.gif[/img]</a>
    Good luck.

First Edit: Added Source Code
    Second Edit: Removed that crap that was frame specific from the source code.

avdven ==>
    The code works fine locally. I don't think it is java problem because it is an intermittent fault and my host does support java script. All the images used were loaded many times to the correct directory of /images. The code was not written using a wysiwyg editor just textpad, I find it easier - and yes I have written web pages before with no problems.

Guus ==>
    I tried your suggestion of adding a BASE href reference between the head, tags, same result.

str34m3r ==>
    I also tried closing the <a href=""> tags this also caused the same fault.

I am starting to think it is most definately is a hosting problem. I am going to try to host it somewhere else and see if that resolves the issue.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.