WinXP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP

WinXP

I have windows xp and about every 45 min a error report pops up and clears my screen and i have to re-open my files i was working on to continue my work. Is there any programs i can download to clear the errors in my system? Or should i go back to a older windows?

The Iceman Cometh
    Do you know what errors are caused by? What programs do you have running in the background? It's most likely a program running in the background that's causing the error. If you can figure out what program it is, you can simply uninstall and reinstall it and it may work. Otherwise, you can always reinstall Windows XP over your current installation, if the problem is Windows related. Also, you may want to do a search on WindowsUpdate and the MS Knowledge Base to see if it's a reported problem with a fix for it. I know there are quite a few problems which Microsoft has patches for but are not advertised because they are only recommended for people with that specific problem. Once you give some more info about the error and what progarms you have running, we may be able to help you out.

AJ

Is your XP installation an upgrade or a complete intall?
    I personaly have been some problems with my my upgrade which disapear completly when I did a complete install.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

To help any one target this and assist you, the exact error message is highly desired.
    As avdven stated, there are many things that can be at fault and uninstalling the culperate can be a good work around, but for us to know what is really happening, do get back to us with the exact text of the error.
    If you have no luck here, you can always call in for support w/ MS at 18009365700

Regards, Hope this helps.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Mike, you can check your event view to see exactly what the error is (instead of waiting for it to come back).

Incase you are not sure how to get there in XP, here are the instructions:

1. Click on "Start"
    2. Right Click on "My Computer"
    3. Left click on "Manage"
    4. Expand (click on the +) "Application"

From here, you should see a bunch of stuff....Look for the items with a red X, and double click on the the first you see. If this is the same (or very similar) error you keep seeing popping up, make a note of exactly what it says and post it here so others can assist further.

Hope this helps.

Old Fart
    I agree with the 'full install' method 100%....much less quirky than an upgrade. I also must ask....have you gotten all the updates for XP? There are a slew of them out there, and that may be a quick fix if you haven't updated.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I too have had problems with an upgrade in the past... Much better to just do a compleate reinstall

Could you go into more detail about this error, I have never experienced anything like this with my XP system, and I am curious to know what is going on, and if someone has a resolution, what you could do to solve it. Guys, not that re-installing the system isn't the right thing to do, but wouldn't it be more of a challenge to try and correct the issue? I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, I just want to learn as much as I can.

Krazy Mike,

Are you running Kazaa? I have a problem with using certain programs while Kazaa is running. However, if I close kazaa, by right clicking the icon on the bottom right hand tool bar, the problem discontinues.

I agree with everyone else about reinstalling it.... Upgrades always come with a few glitches... But. Have you run a baseline yet? This might be cumbersome, but run system monitor trace log and slowly add all the applications that you are using and remark the times at which they are loading. When the system freaks out. Take the baseline, export it to CSV, import it into EXCEL, start a graph, and you "might" see that the problem is a corrupt application instead of the OS....

Banned

WINXP

I also had a problem when I did the upgrade. I had numerous problems with my different partitions, such as one being exactly mirrored, --that is content on my d and e were exactly the same. When I quit being lazy, backed up my schtuff and did a fresh full install my system hasn't had a snafu yet.

What exactly are the errors that you are seeing? I "might' be able to further assist.

yur pal,
    Cachinga