nothin like lookin for a job

Thread: nothin like lookin for a job

Banned

nothin like lookin for a job

ok...college is over and its time to get a job...anyone have any search tips?

I got my first job through my intership. I got the intership when one of my proffesors sent a forward to his summer students. I responded to the forward it was from one of my TA (I did not realize that at that time). I was doing well in his class. The TA recommended me to the company I stayed on for 4 years after graduating My recommendation (sp?) is to check with your proffesors and have your resume on monster (recruiters still call me from there).

Cheers,

-D

Banned
    i havent received anything from monster yet, i put my resume on last week so maybe i havent waited long enough....

i should also mention the company i had an internship with fired over 1/2 of its staff b/c of the economy....most of the clients were hedgefunds-and well....take a peak at the stockmarket.

Start by posting your resume here on AO.

Here is the link. http://careers.antionline.com
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

The entire (worldwide) IT job market is pretty crap at the moment.

Every other time I've been looking for work, I'd post my CV online at a few job sites (www.jobsite.co.uk www.monster.co.uk for example) and then wait for the phone to ring, it was always a full time occupation dealing with the barrage of calls.
    Not this time
    there's been virtually no calls, the jobs I see advertised are a joke (we're looking for experience, a degree, ideally mcse qualified, and the salary is 15k [about $23.5k])
    The market seems devoid of general IT jobs, my advice is to get a job, any job!
    Get your foot in the door then look to either move up internally or use it a jumping off point as and when the market gets better.

Either way, good luck!

J.

PS In my experience, if your not in the US then careers.antionline.com is a waste of time. Your always going to better off using a recruitment company thats in your own country.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

AngryBob - JDS Uniphase in Bloomfield, CT / Computer Sciences Corporation in Middletown, CT / Newington Public Schools is looking for a Network Admin /

The market here in east bumble...you know the rest...sucks.

Pennsylvania sucks for the IT market unless you're in the big 2...and for those of us who like smaller (150-200,000 ppl) cities....we just can't find no jobs.

I quit my IT job ...my notice runs out on july 30 and I'm having a horrible time looking for a replacement position...looks like I'll be asking "do you want fries with that?"

All depends on where you live. Every state has a job website, and there's Monster, HotJobs, Dice.com, and Career Builder.com. Plus the good ol' newspaper don't hurt none, either. If you live in a smaller area, some companies may not have the resources to ask for IT help via the internet, so the paper is always a good place.

And good luck. I was out of a job for 6 months after 9-11 and it was tough -- no job openings and an oversaturated market in an area where it was already hard to find tech jobs. But perserverance and a good attitude will get you far. Most HR people are looking to see not whether you are qualified, but if you will fit in and get along with everyone. Keep that in mind, and you'll go far.

Also, if your area has Job Fairs, those don't hurt, either. Many local radio stations advertise them.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.