Thread: firewalls and trojans

firewalls and trojans

Could somebody please answer this question.
    Is it possible to successfully run two firewall software programs on the same PC simultaneously, Zone Alarm being one of them?

I had an important file hacked into and the file deleted, hence the question.

Also, I am looking for an effective Trojan & Spyware hunter/removal software , is Pest Patrol or Tuscan worth considering? Can anyone make some suggestions?

This question has been asked before, but I guess it will not hurt to answer the question for you.

1) I suppose it would not hurt to run two firewalls, but as it has been stated before, one well-configured firewall is good enough.

2) As for trojan removal/detection software, I like The Cleaner by Moosoft, netsatat to see what is connected, network intrusion detection software like snort (or maybe BlackICE...bleh), and keep an eye on those RUN registry entries.

I wish you the best of luck.

G'day alittlebitnumb,

thanks for both the advice and for your quick response.

First of all, getting two firewalls or anything that monitors your ports doesn't mix well because it would leave ports showing on your computer and that the software dont intertwine. One firewall is fine and it is ok to be paranoid a little, but you have to take into consideration that practicing safe practices is also another thing. For a trojan scanner, The Cleaner from www.Moosoft.com and Tauscan www.Agnitum.com work fine. PestPatrol is for adware,spyware and the sorts of threats like keyloggers. I'd suggest getting ad-aware also from www.download.com .

If you have an important file, encrypt it with a program like PGP (you can also get it at download.com).

Many people here, are IT's, Comp. Sci. majors or just very skilled and knowlegable in the security area, they should be able to help you with in-depth information regarding security for your network or workstation.

- Use 1 firewall only (or port monitoring device)
    - Use 1 main ANTI-VIRUS like Norton or Mcafee (It is ok to have an anti-trojan in the background)
    - Get rid of spyware as they may open ports and possibly have a harmful effect. (Ad-aware, PestPatrol, etc...)
    - If you have very important files like financial documents, encrypt them with a program like PGP.
    - One of the most important things - Configure your security just right to make your computer usage free (what i mean is that , like the way you use to use your computer even before you had any security on it), but also tight enough to suit your needs.
    - Get something to monitor your registtry because of spyware and viruses that may lurke there. Agnitums Jammer would work well.

Thats what I suggest and my opinion on what I think should be good for the computer and user. It's up to you if you want to follow the guidelines or not. Good luck.

G'day alittlebitnumb,

thanks for both the advice and for your quick response.
    No problem. Heh, I have nothing better to do than wash dishes, clean floors and other house duties and in my spare time sit here and help It's great to be here... And BTW, welcome!

G'day Azn_Acid2
    Your advice makes sense to me and I intend to follow and implement the suggestions.
    thanks and Have a good one.