Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP-How secure??

Question XP-How secure??

Good morning everyone....how secure is XP??

This is my question....in comparison to Windows Me,98, or 2000.

I have 2 years experience with computers.
    I keep my system up-to-date in regards to anti-virus & patches.
    I utilize a firewall because I have a cable connection.

Thoughts and/or suggestions ....please!!

tons of fun

In my experience, it's been (in order of preference and security):

1)Win2K
    2)XP
    3)98
    10)ME

Can you tell I hate ME?

2000 is about as secure as a M$ OS can get. Not that that's saying much, but there you go. XP isn't too bad, but I still recommend 2000.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

Thank you...DG.

Now, should I opt to stay with FAT32...or NTFS??

I'm going to reformat my disk...No dual boot!!

tons of fun

If you're aren't dual booting, and you want the most security, then NTFS is the onlly way to go. Period. NTFS gives you the ability to lock down individual files (to a point, it is only Microsoft), where FAT32 does not. The only reason to go FAT32 in this case would be if you were dual booting, which you've stated you are not.

Good morning everyone....how secure is XP??

Not very much M$ gave lip service to security and M$'s latest catch phrase is "trust worthy computing"...............
    how about "hack worthy computing?" there you go a new catch phrase lol.

I have 2 years experience with computers.
    I keep my system up-to-date in regards to anti-virus & patches.
    I utilize a firewall because I have a cable connection.

Thoughts and/or suggestions ....please!!

Suggestions:

1) Use Strong Passwords and change them often (at least 24 charecters mixed case puncutation numbers)

2) Setup dshield www.dshield.org or mynetwatchman www.mynetwatchman.com to report attempted hacks and scanning
    that's hostile

3) I'd suggest avoiding ICQ and similar instant messangers like MSN because they can open back doors in your system.

4) Disconnect from the net when your not home or monitoring things.

Use Spybot to spot keyloggers and spyware phoning home.

Wink

Thank you!! You all have been MOST helpful! [blur]Time to re-join my friends in CYBERSPACE[/blur] tons of fun

Originally posted here by DarkGuardian
    If you're aren't dual booting, and you want the most security, then NTFS is the onlly way to go. Period. NTFS gives you the ability to lock down individual files (to a point, it is only Microsoft), where FAT32 does not. The only reason to go FAT32 in this case would be if you were dual booting, which you've stated you are not.
    What does dual booting have to do with your choice of filesystems? You can, in fact, dual boot NTFS. Right now I'm dual booting Gentoo Linux (EXT3) and Windows XP Pro (NTFS.)

Originally posted here by Sudo

What does dual booting have to do with your choice of filesystems? You can, in fact, dual boot NTFS. Right now I'm dual booting Gentoo Linux (EXT3) and Windows XP Pro (NTFS.)
    Yes, but depending on what he would dual boot into, it might make a difference. I've had problems with dual boot 98/NT or 98/2000 it if wasn't FAT32. Yes, you can dual boot with NTFS, but depending on the OS involved, might not be the best choice.

Since he's not dual booting, though, the point is moot. Always use NTFS if at all possible in a Windows environment.

agreed......thanks again!!

tons of fun

Banned
    Originally posted here by DarkGuardian
    In my experience, it's been (in order of preference and security):

1)Win2K
    2)XP
    3)98
    10)ME
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows 2000 Professional
    Windows 2000 Home
    Windows XP Home
    Windows 98 S.E.
    Windows 95
    Windows NT
    Windows ME
    Windows 3.1

If you were going to use Windows, that is how I would rank them.... In my opinion...