Thread: Can access a floppy in Linux but not in Windows xp

Can access a floppy in Linux but not in Windows xp

i dual booted my comp (xp and redhat linux 7.0) now i can access the floppy drive when using linux but not when in windows xp?

if anybody could advise me on how to solve this, i would really appreciate. i know this is a security forum but any help in this matter will make my day.

thank u.

Kwiep
    Windows can't read the floppy disk because windows uses another filesystem. You could format the floppy in windows and then mount it in redhat like this:
    mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy -t -vfat
    Double Dutch

The Iceman Cometh
    Does the floppy drive appear within Windows Explorer? If not possibly check to ensure that you have updated drivers for your motherboard or that your BIOS is configured properly. You may want to even just try the Add New Hardware Wizard to see if it detects your floppy drive.

If the drive does appear, but you cannot access floppies, I recommed trying another floppy which you know your PC (or someone elses) has been able to read before from within Windows. You may simply be trying to access a bad disk, or, as Neel suggested, a disk which has an invalid file format.

Anyway, give some more information, such as whether you can see the floppy drive from within Windows, any error messages your received, how long you have been unable to see or read from the floppy, etc. It may help us figure out what's wrong.

AJ

You could also check your /etc/fstab file for the settings on your floppy drive as follows:
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto, owner, kudzu 0 0

The 'auto' in the 3rd column specifies the file type, In this case it will detect any of the file types that have been compiled into the kernel. For example, ext2, ext3, fat, vfat, iso9660,etc. This should allow linux and windows to both read the floppy. For a complete description of the /etc/fstab file do a "man fstab" in a terminal windows next time you are in linux.

Sorry for not giving complete info:

1. Actually, i cannot see the *floppy drive* in the explorer

2. I have been getting the error message("Error: not found") everytime i click on a shortcut to the floppy drive (i had placed the shortcut prior to installing linux and it was working well then)

3. I would also like some info on the *BIOS* settings that might be bringing problem. i.e. what should be the order in the "First device", "Second device" etc (in the advanced BIOS settings.)

The Iceman Cometh
    So the problem started after installing Linux? That's interesting. What happens if you try to unmount the drive from Linux? Does that make a difference? (I don't think it will, but it's worth a shot.. maybe something is staying within the memory). And I'm assuming your BIOS detects the floppy drive propely?

As for your question regarding the "First device", etc. I'm assuming you're asking about the boot order? After installing an OS, I personally change it so that the first device is the primary hard drive and the rest are all disabled so that it doesn't matter whether someone accidentally leaves a bootable floppy or CD in the drive. If you want to know the recommended settings for your BIOS, I suggest you go to the web site for your motherboard manufacturer or check out the documentation that came with your computer to see what is recommended. You may want to also consider a BIOS upgrade, though if it worked before, I don't see that making a difference, but it's worth a shot...

AJ

Thanks AJ.

Sounds like something in windows has become corrupted.
    Usually, the floppy drive is the most surely and reliably detected
    device for any OS

The linux kernel natively knows and works with floppy drives,
    and I would assume the same for windows, although the problem
    may be in explorer.

I don't think floppy drives need a driver, outside of the
    OS kernel.

Just as an experiment, do you have a DOS boot disk?
    If you can boot DOS from a bootable floppy,
    then it's not a BIOS issue but a problem with the XP kernel.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thank u very much everybody who responded and attempted to help. rcgreen and avden, it was actually a BIOS issue. After changing back to optimized defaults, everything worked. I can now start on a full linux experience.....lol