Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing Red-Hat

I think the driver for scroll mouse is imps2
    rather than ps2.
    I had to manually edit the xf86Config file.
    I found the information by entering "scroll mouse" and
    "linux" into Google (Advanced Search)
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Nice tutorial, I'll remember that when I (one day) download it.

Hey preacherman,
    What kind of mouse do you have? I had the same problem when recently installing RH 7.3 but it worked on mandrake 7.2. I went to logitech's site and but no drivers avail for linux. Even though I know this isn't in line with the original thread, I'd also really like to hear if anyone found a fix for this --besides of course going back to mandrake.

cachinga

str34m3r
    I use the "Microsoft Intellimouse (PS/2)" option, and it works great for my Logitech mouse with a scroll wheel. You might want to see if that fixes your problem.

Originally posted here by cachinga
    Hey preacherman,
    What kind of mouse do you have? I had the same problem when recently installing RH 7.3 but it worked on mandrake 7.2. I went to logitech's site and but no drivers avail for linux. Even though I know this isn't in line with the original thread, I'd also really like to hear if anyone found a fix for this --besides of course going back to mandrake.

cachinga
    It's the mouse that came with my HP Pavilion 7955. It's a ps/2. The scroll button works great with Mandrake, not at all
    with RedHat 7.3. But, I think I'm going to stick with Mandrake anyway.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Can't say I blame you, I really dig mandrake. I'll try the intellimouse option tonight.

Why all (most) peoples recommends KDE ?
    KDE more user friendly? No way. Peoples let the newbie decide what to use. Every user should decide himself.

I don't like KDE very much coz it's evolution is veeery slow now. Look how fast is evolving Gnome desktop environment now. Gnome2 (a very friendly GUI) differ's from Gnome 1.4 a lot more than KDE 2.2 from 3.0. And Gnome community is wider.

Gnome2 instalation: Install Gnome in RH 7.3, download and compile your Gnome2 and you'll be able to use gtk+ 1.2 and gtk+ 2 apps. Of course you'll have to install it manualy, edit some files in terminal coz there is no rpm's now. But why then you're in Linux if you affraid to compile it manualy. After compilation you (newbie) will learn a lot. You'll see it's gui looks pretty cool (to me ;D ). Of course it needs some tweaking. Live and learn how to do it yourself.

Sometimes you must lose the battle to win the war. (I wanted to say: sometimes U must lose the click 'n' go install to get the kickass gui ;p).

After all it's not important what you use. It's important just to enjoy Linux (or other unix'es).

Sorry for bad grammar...
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

Nice tute ac1dsp3ctrum.
    I'm planning to buy another HD next week and install LINUX. This will be my first time to install LINUX my self. Thanks for the tute man.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

Originally posted here by phuckintwizted
    grub loader can be pass protected to add aditionial security to your kernel, not so with lilo
    Where have you been? Lilo can be configured to use a password, however local security is not much of an issue for most people.

i found that setup passwords for root and user arent that important as you can change them at anytime...
    Yah right! Having your box on the internet at anytime without passwords set on the accounts is just plain stupid. Unless, you have chosen not to run any services. But, it is still not a wise idea.

one more thing ,red hat can be a processor hog so if your on a slow processor choose the lowest eye candy setting while installing then use the control panel to adjust the settings to an optimal point.
    This can be said for any distro out there, including Mandrake. This is due to a number of things, including the number of services that get installed and enabled by default. KDE itself needs a lot of resources, therefore running it on slower hardware can cause problems.

http://www.undisker.com is where to get undisker a cool program for workin with iso files without the need to burn
    No thanks, Ill stick to using the loopback device.

Personally, I don't care for Redhat nor Mandrake. I like to know exactly what is on my machine and how it is configured, and I do this by installing and configuring everything from scratch. This is why I like Slackware, Debian and Gentoo. I discovered Gentoo several months ago, and ever since I installed it, I would never consider using anything else. It uses BSD's portage tree, which is simillar to Debian's "apt-get", except everything is downloaded as source and automatically compiled without any user intervention. The great thing about it is that I can optimize all of my software for the i686 instruction set, which increases performance significantly. If you haven't already tried out Gentoo Linux, I highly recommend that you do. The install is nothing like any other distro out there, so it can be a little intimidating. However, everything you need to know to install it is in a file located on the install CD.

--Sudo