Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am being hacked

Sorry guys I am a total newbie to the security issue. Let me try and explain it better.

On my website I upload all my files through WSFTP and that is why I thought the person had to be doing it from some program like this. However last night I changed the password again but they still got in.

Hope this clears it up.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Sounds like your local machine is compromised and they're seeing everything you try to do. Go download the latest AV engine/defs and see if you have a trojan of some sort.

Go to webattack.com and get your self a trojan scanner as well. Tauscan works pretty good.

lol@angrybob
    It\'s better without a signature until you have a digital one.

Ok guys I changed the password from my school computer and didn't use the password at home but the person was still able to log in and delete files.

I also downloaded the Trojan program and it didn't find any.

What else can I do?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Again, I restate that you should be talking with the hosting admins. They have the ability to monitor and restrict access (at least they are supposed to have that access). As you have no real access to the machines, (ie webbased ftp log and file management with no access to user management) the only thing you can try to do is ensure that your password is a STRONG password. If that is a no go, it will have to go through the hosting admins, or you can move your stuff to a new host.

Regards.

Regards
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

A few things here,

1. You are assuming that you are the one that is hacked, it may well be the server that is being hacked and not the machine you are ftping from so contact the admin and notify him/her with the info you have found so far.
    2. Change your password to the ftp account (after hearing from the admin) from a (now this is important) **different** machine than you have been using (in case that one is compromised).
    3. Make sure that your password is a good password and not easily guessed
    4. If possible talk to the admin about installing scp or sftp instead of regular ftp. The ftp program sends passwords in plain text so a simple sniffer will give away your password every time.
    5. And finally Contact the site admin. (oh I already said that) well do it again.
    dAggressor

It\'s a long life, until you die

Question curious

i have a question

how do they exsaclty hack your computer even they are far from you, do they do this tru your ip address? or what?

Why do you want to know? From the way you told that is like saying:"Tell how to hack a computer, if i have the IP of a guy then can i hack him?" Remember that this is a site to prevent this happen, so keep off.

im not saying i would use this to hack other computer im just curious how is that possible besides im a newbie remember that had alot of question.

Banned
    You asked = "How is that possable?" Your kidding me, right? The internet is one big network so you can basicly dailout to anything that is online.

Ok lets say if I were gonna make a remote admin tool....
    Client dials to a PC through IP and goes to a open port.
    The server listens to a port and waits for bits of data which are commands that tell it what it should do
    Ok once the client has connected it sends packets of data which say CMD-BEEP
    Then the server receives the data and opens a part of the program which makes a beeping sound.

Go look at TCP/IP and telnet.
    Or better yet..... get a programing language and make some network tools of your own.

I hope this has answered questions but at the same time hasn't given anyone any funny ideas......

P.S. this is a old thread.... you should have just posted your own instead.