Movies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movies

Question Movies

Hey,
    Im writing a paper on the popular opinion of hackers in the media from the eighties to the present, and I was wondering what movies you would suggest. Preferably they would give some insight into the ideology of hacking but on the other hand, I dont really want to watch any boring ones. Just reply with any computer based movies you liked. Thanks

well hackers, enemy of the state, the net,the kevin mitnick story,swordfish,just a few that i can think of.
    light a candle for the sinners ,set the world on fire

Yeah, Hackers is a good one, and check out "War Games" i think that one is pretty cool too.

Do not forget Tron! Back in the 80's.
    That is what i call a good movie realted to the issue.
    Good luck and do not forget to share your paper when it's done.
    Tudo que rela relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

Banned
    yes, but you have to realize that none of these movies accurately reflect hackers ( well, that's just my opinion)

You think so cyb3rn3tik?
    My view of a hacker is a person that enforces knowledge over systems and that stands for information freedom.
    Tron for example, shows a couple of programmers entering into Master control to disable it as it was dominating the information. Of course it is my opinion.
    Any how you have a good point, maybe i should review mine, well...... maybe not.
    I need a beer any how.
    Good night!! (night for me at least)

Banned
    hmmm...never seen tron, sorry (sacriligeous, i know). But i know that Hackers has a lot of bad acting and repeated cruddy special effects (i still like it, though ). Also in Swordfish.......those people have no idea wtf they're talking about. And some of the stuff is completely wrong (pay attention to the jargon and cpu screens). Enemy of the state is good.

Agree with you cyb3rn3tik (having a beer now ;-)

Swordfish should NOT be taken seriously at all. Just good action!

If it's media in general, how about literature? Gibson writes a damn good story. Neuromancer and Count Zero are very good examples of hacker incarnations. If your not into long stories, check out Burning Chrome. It's a collection of short stories and the last one in it(actually called Burning Chrome) is very good!

Thanks for the help guys...
    As to (some of) the movies not actually portraying realism, thats ok. Its more the perception of hackers in popular culture thats more important than reality. Thx bquine, i've already got a couple books but ill look at the ones you suggest.
    Thanks again