Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to learn!

Nortell Networks has a great networking book out its like $40.00 and it has everything you would ever want to know about networking not just tcp/ip but token ring and atm as well i would suggest that as a good start

Banned

Re: I want to learn!

Originally posted here by MadBadger
    I really want to learn more about IT without going back to school.
    I would say to get a good idea about how PC's work, reading the A+ books would be a great start, and I would suggest if your taking that step, getting A+ certified is not a bad thing to look into. It is a test you can sign up to take. only a hundred sum dollars. From there, setting up a small network at your house/apartment would be another way to get your skills built up, and from there.... Start learning you linux...

Originally posted here by MadBadger
    I also want to put a Linux OS (probably SuSE 8.0) on my system and learn as much as I can from others willing to share their knowledge (web sites such as this one).
    I believe Red Hat is one of the easiest for newbies to learn, I would suggest Mandrake or Red Hat. One you have configured a fully operational linux machine, and learned the basic commands. I would suggest trying to implement a or maybe a couple linux machines into your network. By then you should be confident enough to learn programming. Just a couple things to keep you busy when you decide to learn.....

Smile

Thanks for all the advice, everyone's input is really appreciated.

I think I'll definitely try to network several computers at home as I read my books, I seem to learn better by actually doing things then figuring out why it does or doesn't work. I have a one-way satellite internet connection (uploads through the phone line, downloads through the dish) and I'm not really sure if it'll be harder to network than DSL or cable, I don't think it will be.

I'm going to buy a Linux OS this weekend, probably Mandrake or Red Hat (thanks to the replies I've got).

-> Network different computers with different OSs in your room, get everything to play well together. Challenging, edumacational, and when its works its quite satisfying (I'm working on it myself nowadays). If you have space, throw in a big wooden table to spill your computers' guts out, since you are interested in hardware, as I am. (There is a definite hardware angle to system security, part of protocol ya know.)

-> Take the certifications, if you want to, later on, after you have the hands on. If you really want to, you can find the certs out there and try your hand, since they are usually randomized tests, take them as many times as you want. But remember, the certs mean **** if you can't do it hands on.

-> You can network your boxes through a switch, but try other configurations as well. Each new set-up will give an array of challenges. Whatever form of linux you put on, you might try using a linux box as the gateway/firewall, (configure IPchains/tables) and I think that will help your TCP/IP know-how quite a bit.

-> always always read the forum.

-> Read the book "Security Engineering" by Ross Anderson, for a panoramic view of security.
    Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra

I know where you are coming from. I did IT in college for two years and difficulties meant I lagged behind a bit. I work at an IT firm now and I found the best possible way of learning IT is to do it in the following steps.

Learn about fixing and upgrading the PC hardware wise but dont go to deep into it. Knowing how to make and configure one for now is fine.

Then get some "CORE" knowledge to build on. (TCP/IP) is good for this. once you understand more about newtworks, keep studying the PC working ect and build a knowledge of OS's. choose like WIN 98 UNIX XP Win 2k NT and so forth.

hope this helps a bit its simple I know but thats the basics to get you started.
    The Worst Foe Lies Within The Self

Well guys..
    We all need to start somewhere..Ther are many guys i know who started with the measly gwbasic and then went up to pascal and then to c..java..c++..i too did this and am proud to have gained a lot of knowledge about computers..now i have learnt asm too which i am trying to perfect more...try this time tested road..and i assure you u will be satisfied when you look down the memory lane later..Happy Programming
    There\'s nothing in the world
    that\'s beyond your reach.