Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profile has been viewed X times

Profile has been viewed X times

As you all know, when someone views your profile, there is a little counter that records how many times your profile has been viewed...

Now, this increments even if your look at your own profile while logged in.... Its not really important, but it makes me look like people are interested in me, because I've got liked 198 views, as I use my profile a lot, especially for keeping track of threads that I'm active on.. (because I use the quick post, which doesn't subscribe me to the posts, and its easier)..

I don't think it should count when you view your own profile...
    And that's my useless suggestion for the week....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

I have to agree with the logic here.

If one goes to his or her own profile to catch up on their posts quickly, to get an accurate reading of how many other people are viewing it the person would have to have an exact record of how many times he/she viewed the profile, how many times the person clicked the back button, etc. Either they'd have to write it down, or they'd need a pretty good photographic memory. Perhaps an exception code could be added to the counter?
    \"It is a smart man who can quote others, but it is a wise man who can come up with his own, and it is a wise@** that came up with this one. \" -yours truly

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I agree MC. Especially with the top10 list of profile views there, it would be easy to get on the list by just hitting the refresh button. Maybe that is how both komal and freeOn (banned users) are on the top10 list. They each had to have something like 1500 to 2000 page views in under 24 hours, which is just insane unless there was some type of auto refresh happening. Maybe if it not only didn't count for that user views, but also only counted 1 time per ip address per hour or somthing....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

I agree to, my profile has been viewed 2 times. Both were me.

Definitely an idea that should be put into consideration.

Old Fart
    Makes sense to me...wonder if it could be set to 'lookie at the cookie' and not count the view.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I agree with you Matty, I use my profile like you on each connection in order to view answers to my previous posts or evolution in discussions and I don't know the number of people that have really viewed it.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Banned
    I hear you on that, actually, I pointed out a "bug" about that a few weeks ago...

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231654

If you click refresh, it counts as another view. A good way to up a profile to the top 10 I say...

or u can use the rapist which will keep reloading the page over and over while u sleep and get u on the top 10
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

As in another thread, I would recommend abolishing this statistic entirely. It would make the left column of the front page less bloated, and there still wouldn't be much keeping someone from registering another account and THEN artificially inflating their own view statistics.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency