Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Reason Linux Sucks

Talking

QUOTE:

1. You cannot order a desktop, laptop etc PC from any MFG and have a choice in OS
    2. Even if you do not want Win what ever you still pay them no discount for a system with no OS.
    3. Mfg have no choice to offer any other OS because they deal with M$

Tell this to Dell, they sell equpiment with Redhat as an option over windows. I am by no means a big fan of Dell (actually I think those dude commercials are annoying), but it is a big mfg and they do give the option...Just a thought.
    -Those are my principles. If you don\'t like them, I have others.
    --Groucho Marx

Originally posted here by uid(zer0)
    Of course thing like this could happen if you don't know the hardware you working on, or if you don't know you need ppp networking or not.
    (but acctually I don't know how, unless you're using 1.0 kernel and have very new hardware)

But if you don't know these things, then go better play with kids baseball or something. You're not worth newbie's name. Computers aren't for you.
    I do know these things, thank you very much.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted here by Kezil
    there is a good reason for all of this: competing with windows. despite how great linux is, it's rather hard to find one that feels like windows, which most windows users will look for. windows tends to beat linux in cosmetics because that's basically all they've concentrated on the past few OSs (yes, I am exagerating), while linux has been getting applications, compatibility, and stability. A normal windows user won't care to much about linux stability, but will be looking for something that replaces windows in look and feel with the benefit of stability, etc.. All ten areas lag behind windows and may keep linux from growing as fast as it potentially can until they match closely to windows in ease of use.
    You've obviously never looked at KDE's Redmond theme. It looks identical to Win2K except for the 'task bar'.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    I only have two beefs with linux.
    1. No radeon 7500 drivers for x window. This is more ati's fault than linux but it does'nt change the fact that my video card does'nt work.
    2. No games
    http://dri.sourceforge.net has support for all the radeons.

Originally posted here by Terr
    Hmmmm...

Well, for one thing, X-windows is creepy. I personally find it very strange to see a nice open port due to running X-windows. I'm aware that by default (usuall) nobody else can connect to you unless you use +xhostall or some option like that...but still... It would be nice of there was a single-computer-non-networkable-possibly-faster version of it.

Terr, tsk tsk tsk. You should know to RTFM... Read up on the --nolisten tcp cli option.
    Also, the default behaviour has since been change (as Of XF 4.1.0 IIRC) to not listen on any TCP/IP or UDP ports at all.

MAN pages tend to be quite skimpy on summaries. And I think xman should be default with all distros... I don't want to have to use KDE's kludgy help interface or use the command line for scrolling and copypasting.

Linux is still far too programmer and server oriented to work well as a desktop. That, and it doesn't run many of my games natively, and I don't want to spend half my expected lifetime just getting WINE to work right with my hardware... hell, I have yet to get my old sound card working. (Very Long Story.) Anything that involves recompiling the kernel means it won't work for Mr. Average.
    This part is very true. Since I'm a programmer/network admin I don't mind it though.

Originally posted here by casper3699
    and on some like RedHat and i think Mandrake it will autodetect on boot up for hardware changes. I know when i swapped motherboard from a AMD K62 500 to a Soyo AMD 600 Athlon Redhat 7.1 detected it and installed the right modules and was up and running with no problems.
    This is what I was talking about earlier. Hardware detection and installation is eventually going to be easier in Linux than in Windows for EVERYTHING.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Armyofone: Excuse me? You must be using another operating system. Linux fully supports LKMs (much much more efficiently than Windows excuse, VXDs). Configuration of any hardware for me tends to be a very quick and relaxing process.

slashdot.org has some nice responses to this article. I must state that most of his "sucks" points are actually due to the fact he is a beginner to the operating system (other than cleaner redraws).

Some of those were valid points, but here's where I pick out the techie one

Devices. I don't know what's worse, /dev or ploughing through the Win2K registry trying to find exactly what "PCI Audio Device" is, then using Google to look up random parts of the vendor string in the hopes of finding a driver.

IMO (and no, it's not even humble ) they both have messy bits, Windows just hides it a little better.
    Byte Me

chsh: Just because older versions are old doesn't mean they don't matter. Besides... I can't verify it at the moment, but how easy is it to find that option in MAN if you don't know it exists in the first place?

"Shoot, you should have RTFM! Y'see, If you doubleshift-backspace-click this small icon in the window corner, and then shout something into your microphone, you can save those options."
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted here by parksie
    Some of those were valid points, but here's where I pick out the techie one

Devices. I don't know what's worse, /dev or ploughing through the Win2K registry trying to find exactly what PCI Audio Device is, then using Google to look up random parts of the vendor string in the hopes of finding a driver.

IMO (and no, it's not even humble) they both have messy bits, Windows just hides it a little better.
    Actually, have you ever tried to use lspci? It gives you the identification information on your PCI devices. It's a hell of a lot easier than with Windows, where unless you know debug off by heart, you're going to spend hours researching the information, or you're going to end up opening the case up.

Originally posted here by Terr
    chsh: Just because older versions are old doesn't mean they don't matter. Besides... I can't verify it at the moment, but how easy is it to find that option in MAN if you don't know it exists in the first place?
    Terr: On your first point, it does mean they don't matter. Microsoft has taken that stance on Win9x since day one. They drop support for 95/98/ME in favour of XP Home, or they charge you through the roof for it. They also stop releasing patches for said operating systems, and their solution is to upgrade.

On your second point, EVERY single last basic user's guide I've seen included in any storebought distro points out MAN as one of the first sources for help.

"Shoot, you should have RTFM! Y'see, If you doubleshift-backspace-click this small icon in the window corner, and then shout something into your microphone, you can save those options.
    Huge exaggeration, it's more like right-click the title bar and click 'Store Settings' (for KDE).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I have already replied to this article on OSnews but once again I thinkl that there's a need to explain somethings...
    1º- There's no need for a best browser because linux has wide variaty and most of them are fully functional. I don't know what he means with desktop integration but I suspect that he means the way the browser interlaces with other applications on the linux plataform... this is cleary a windows comment but if distribution producers wanted it could be easily sorted out, the mandrake dis seems to be handling this very well.
    2º- Err... it only prompts if there's real damage on the drive (at least my dis) but I believe that this can be configured to work the way he wants it).
    3º- There are problems? The default from Mandrake and RedHat works fine on mine I just changed it because I wanted to tweak it a bit.
    4º- If you buy a dis u will get a manual... but if you need more info browsers included on the dis carry a bunch of liks to usefull sites...
    5º/6º/10º- I know what he means and it is true... so true... Linux is stable and fully working from the prompt line but noone is fool enough to say that X is complete on its evolution far from it and sincerelly I doubt that the X-window has any future, i believe that it has to be replace with something more powerfull and easier. The killer button on the desktop is a security measure that is required because graphical applications on linux a still unstable ( maybe not the program itself but the libraries that they are based) and unless you want to rely on old but stable debian style you will need it sooner or later.
    7º- That would be a nightmare...
    8º- Can't see the prob...
    9º- er...
    This is a relevant article from a windows user although most points are useless there are some important and worth discution..
    http://sw33t.no.sapo.pt/pic/mask1.gif
    Seek balance and you will find peace.

I put linux on an old machine last week and I love it. I don't find it easy to configure but each step feels like a great success. I can relate to the printer point, I'm trying to get a printer working through samba but I'm having a few problems. But I'll get there

The only real problem I have with Linux is all the names they use for programs . There all weird and just cry out for attention. I mean come on - what the hell kind of name is XMMS?

AS EVERY THING HAS TWO FACES ,EXPLAIN:-
    1. windows for beginners(75%) & linux for us(25%)
    2. AS to learn MOTORCYCLE(LINUX) IT IS BEST TO LEARN CYCLE(WINDOWS).
    3. COMPETITION IS MUST IN MARKET FOR CONSUMER'S INTEREST.
    4.LINUX IS VAST RESOURCE OF PROGRAMMING & OTHER UTILITES.
    5.WINDOWS IS BEST FOR USERS USING COMPUTER ONLY FOR GAMES, INTERNET.
    6.IN THIS WORLD DONOT DEPEND ON ONLY ONE PRODUCT
    7.linux lacks in the field of MARKETING ,WHICH WINDOWS HAS THE EDGE