Thread: How to hide drives from stupid users.

Webius Designerous Indiginous

How to hide drives from stupid users.

How often have you wanted to hide a drive from users you know will look around and mess something up? Well, here is what you do.

You can have a drive not show up in the My computer using this simple Registry edit.

In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Name = NoDrives

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: To calculate the value, add together the numbers for the drives you want to hide, using the formula: A=1, B=2, C=4, D=8, E=16, F=32, G=64, and so forth. To hide D: & E:, the value would be 8+16=24.

Thats it.

Source here

The Iceman Cometh
    Just an addition, this only works on NT/2k machines, not 9x (as far as I know). This is also possible to do through other means (various third-party tools allow you to hide drives, as well as TweakUI (downloadable for 9x/NT/2k and XP, which is a add-on for Windows released though not officially supported by Microsoft).

AJ

Banned
    the only problem i have had with hiding drives is that if i hide a HDD it conflicts with the CDrom cause windows knows the drive is there, therefore (with two HDD and Two CDROM's) it is the same, but when installing software it doesnt pick up the hidden HDD and makes the CDroms one drive letter lower, then when the drive is 'unhidden' when you run the software it causes conflict. Sorry for my rambling.