Security filter: Yahoo edits e-mail

Thread: Security filter: Yahoo edits e-mail

Security filter: Yahoo edits e-mail

I'm not much of a Yahoo user but for those of you that may have an email account with them you may want to read about this. I really have some problems with their actions.
    1. It takes away a senders right of free speech.
    2. They did not make any public disclosure to their users.
    3. They refuse to say who long the filters are in place.
    4. This is a non standard approach and may be a way for them to make sure only their site feeds up their own ads even in people private email.

Link: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-944320.html
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    Yikes, thats pretty bizare. I can see why Yahoo would want to filter, however they certainly should have notified their users in some way. It certainly seems like a shady sort of thing to do.

Any other words that are evaluated and modified? I saw in the article "eval" and "expression" but does anyone know of any other words that are interpreted?

If you care I tested my netscape account and netscape does seem to do this.

Thank goodness there are others to choose from. Lets hope the others don't hop on the bandwagon. I can kinda see the rationale for this kind of thing, but lets get serious, this is pushing the limits of helping the user and almost barging right in on invasion of privacy.

-the eeshman

Banned
    Yeah, but yahoo e-mail was never all that good anyways. Mostly because it's interface was boring, and old. The only reason I use yahoo is because I am an old user and get the full 6 megs, which is pretty nice to have in a web based e-mail service.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I tired it on my yahoo e-mail account w/ IE and it didn't do it. Was it only for Netscape?

Now, if they only had programmed it correctly... Tsk tsk, I mean, replacing all 'eval' with 'review', instead of doing it only when they were whole words? I don't see it as orwellian or frightening, just a dumb implementation of a security measure.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I agree Terr it is not called Orewellian really it is called market share, dumb yes but who are calling the shots? Smacks of market share to me, everyone has a boss and they implement it cause they want their job however lame. Thing is what business is there of Yahoo to screen users mail filter it and not say a word?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Originally posted here by Palemoon
    I agree Terr it is not called Orewellian really it is called market share, dumb yes but who are calling the shots? Smacks of market share to me, everyone has a boss and they implement it cause they want their job however lame. Thing is what business is there of Yahoo to screen users mail filter it and not say a word?
    ...did you even read the article? they were trying to filter out malicious scripts. but like the other person they quoted said, all they need to do is delete the script tags and its all good, there is no need to change text.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.