Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about \\computer\ipc$

about \\computer\ipc$

I connected two computers by a hub. One computer has win2000 pro and the other has winme on it. when I tried to access win2000 from winme, it showed me some information like: \\computer\ipc$ and asked password. what is the password and how to take that password off, I didn't set any password. anyone please give me some suggestion? thanks.
    I\'d found my best love, but I didn\'t treasure her. I felt regretful after that. It\'s the ultimate pain in the world. If God can give me a chance, I will tell her three word: \"I love you\". If God wanna give me a time limit, I\'ll say this love will last 10 thousand years!

You have to setup a user account on the win2000 box with the name of the user account you use on the winme box and use the same passwords on both boxes...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

well it looks like ipc$ is the share your trying to access. I've never heard of windows automatically assignin passwords. Chech the share proprties on the drive you are trying to access. Did you buy the computers from someone other than a retailer? If so then perhaps there were previous share settings with a password.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Well the first thing you need to do is get the winme computer to a NTFS file system because Im not sure that a fat32 comuputer can access a NTFS share...... or what you can do is set up a drive that is a fat32 volume on the win2k box and share that.The reason is win2k can see a ntfs and a fat volume and winme(9*) can only see Fat volumes...But as far as the password goes if the user has right to the share then no password box will come up at all.

Hope I helped.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    To access an ipc$ share, you have to be a domain admin (if I remember correctly). So the win2k box is looking for a login from the admin. You need an account on the 2k box with the same name as your login on the ME box, and make sure you have filesharing on....

btw, ME sucks when it comes to networks....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

a_420_hacker_24 > actually win98 can see NTFS shares just fine, because I have a w2kpro computer on a lan with two win98 machines, and they all see each other just fine.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

yeah,
    ammo has just answered the question>>
    You have to setup a user account on the win2000 box with the name of the user account you use on the winme box and use the same passwords on both boxes.

thanks all,

I know there are some share files or folders with "$" sign in win2k by default, usually people can not see them. there should be a way to cancel those "sharing", I saw some people did that before, but at that time I didn't pay attention to that and now I want to know how to get off those "sharing", but can not find the way!
    I\'d found my best love, but I didn\'t treasure her. I felt regretful after that. It\'s the ultimate pain in the world. If God can give me a chance, I will tell her three word: \"I love you\". If God wanna give me a time limit, I\'ll say this love will last 10 thousand years!

You're right on the ipc$ account issue, but another way to bypass the check is to enable the guest account on the NT/2K box. Safe? Depends on your network config. But it'll work ;O) BTW, IPC$ is the hidden InterProcessCommunications share. If you don't have a valid account on the system when trying to open a share, the box checks to see if the guest account is enabled. If it is, you get in with guest access. If it isn't, it asks for a valid account name and password for the IPC service (which don't really exist, as IPC is a service account). Just a tech description of why IPC$ is popping up. Sorry I'm long winded...

True, enabling guest also works...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss