Associating protocols to programs (in Windows)

Thread: Associating protocols to programs (in Windows)

Associating protocols to programs (in Windows)

Is there any way to associate a protocol, such as irc:// or ftp://, to a certain program if the program doesn't do it by itself?

I do know how to change the program of file types (extensions) but it doesn't seem that protocols could be associated there.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

I'm not sure myself, but I believe the correct areas to look are in the registry such as:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\news\shell\open\command

Which may display your default newreader, for instance. I know you can add new entries, but I'm not sure how. If all you want to do is change the default programs for already-entered protocols, you could try changing the listed program paths.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Did a little around,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes

For every possible legit combo of url possibilities, the ones that come to mind are gopher:// telnet:// ftp:// http:// mailto:// https:// (I will now for a second refer to them as a tag) are listed

HKLM\Software\Classes\{tag}\shell\open\command\
    There should be a REG_SZ sized value that contains the startup path, be careful though could have unpredictable results.

That subkey (classes) also has all your file associations in it as well... (the .txt for example).

Not sure about the root (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT), I just have always been told to edit under HKLM, not really sure how it plays in the picture...you know Terr ?

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

It is a black art, and it will lure you to the Dark Side, my young padawan. It is unwise to study the Sith mysteries of the dark side of the registry. Beware, lest your curiosity turn to intent, intent, to frustration, from frustration, anger, hatred... and then... "del c:\windows\system.dat" "del c:\windows\user.dat".

Short answer, I don't know, and I'm not too interested in finding out the arcane mysteries.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

additionally, the protocol should be associated to a COM coclass implementing IMoniker and/or IParseDisplayName.
    -droby10