m$ says F-U to win9x users
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m$ says F-U to win9x users

m$ says F-U to win9x users

i guess my laptop is now a security risk...

Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the most out of your computer.

The latest version of Windows Update is only available on computers that are running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
    too bad...since this compaq isn't even compatible with 2k or xp...anyone think m$ is gonna chip in to buy me a new one so i can keep up with the holes in their os's???..

bastids...bastids
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Old Fart
    www.bigfix.com Give it a once over. It does your updates and transmits no info concerning your computer via the internet. Hope this helps the laptop!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Greedy bastards...

yep, another reason I don't waste my money on M$

--Sudo

I wonder when MS will stop thinking about money? When will they turn attention to Windows users?

Take a free day and install linux on your laptop.
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

Well, this is not to make up excuses for microsoft, but win95 IS like 7 years old, and 98 5 years old... You can't realistically expect all software to be suported forever... (Ask anyone about supporting 5 years old Linux distros and you'll get the same anwser: upgrade...)

(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.asp)

It's unfortunate but apparently inevitable...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Banned
    Shait! Ill have to update to Windows XP 7th revision in about 3 years, Noooooo

and 98 5 years old... You can't realistically expect all software to be suported forever

well..yes and no..in a corporate environment it takes 5 years to take a shi-at (tks ac1d... )

we're just now moving to all 2k at work...and m$ says...ooops...after 2003 you can only get xp...oh and you can "down grade to 2k...but you have to pay for the xp licensing scheme..."

ah. well..i'm recoding all of our internal systems in coldfusion...which runs nicely on linux...and can be accessed by any web browser...konqueror say??

i've been a great m$ supporter...i reaaally like 2k...but they are rapidly losing me as a customer...and i know i'm not alone...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Yeah, but knowing Microsoft 'withdrawing support' probably means actively banning any Win9x computer from download areas based on HTTP headers or something equally heavy handed. As a Win98 user... I want it supported.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted here by Terr
    Yeah, but knowing Microsoft 'withdrawing support' probably means actively banning any Win9x computer from download areas based on HTTP headers or something equally heavy handed. As a Win98 user... I want it supported.

already happened terr...click on tools/windows update...you'll see the message from the frist post...me you and x millions are sol...

I wonder if the windows update site can be fooled by rewriting the http headers...
    Of course the windowsupdate activex probably still check os version so that would be pointless....

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss