Thread: ZoneAlarm problems.

ZoneAlarm problems.

Hi, i have seen alot of post, where people are saying alot abouth ZoneAlarm, so i downloaded V3 Pro, now my question is how do i set it up so people can use my www and ftp server, i just get a Gateway error, when i connect with a proxy to my site, so how do i make ZoneAlarm allow connections on port 21 and 80 ?, if you cant what program is good for that ?
    \"I hold you so that you will be whole.\"
    \"I\'m not whole. Does that mean that you
    won\'t hold me anymore?\"

ZoneAlarm should have detected your server running. Go under programs, look for IIS, click on allow to be server (it should be a green checkmark)

Could consider using something else, for example Outpost...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I agree with the previous poster. Just go to "Program Control" and give IIS server rights.

If you can't find it there, then stop IIS, and restart it. Of course you would do this WHILE ZA is running. Then you should see an alert dialog that will allow you to either temporary server rights, or permanent access as a server program - IIS that is... :-)

Yeah, if ZA didn't give you an option for your server, then go in to the permissions tab and browse and add your servers yourself. It is the easiest way. But if ZA isn't working, I reccomend you run a port scan on yourself, because who knows why it isn't working, so you need to make sure it isn't compromised.

Hmm, I think im going to leave Zonealarm because it doesn’t work, and when it runs I cant start my server, so im going to try Outpost.
    \"I hold you so that you will be whole.\"
    \"I\'m not whole. Does that mean that you
    won\'t hold me anymore?\"

I have recently switched to Kerio's Personal Firewall which from what I have read was created by the same team that wrote Tiny firewall. I did not use Tiny so I can not compare the products but I am leaning towards Kerio over ZoneAlarm (previously used). I had problems with ZA dropping my program or zone settings each time rebooted. When I contacted the ZoneLabs folks they could not provide me a soultion but instead told me to reinstall the application. Oh well...

The rest of the folks are correct. Starting IIS should prompt for application access unless you explicitly told ZA no and not to ask again.