Thread: sulfnbk.exe-is this a virus?

sulfnbk.exe-is this a virus?

A friend of mine, who is running windows me, got an e-mail from a trusted friend that was telling her to delete this file if it was on her computer. Against her better judgement, she found this and deleted it. Now her computer is crashing with errors in explorer, but only only when she shuts down the computer.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Maybe it was a system file, and without it that is the consiquence, have you tried reinstalling the OS?
    Mafia = Organized Crime
    Government = Unorganized Crime

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Nope.. its a hoax.....

This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows 95/98/Me utility that is used to restore long file names, and like any .exe file, it can be infected by a virus that targets .exe files.

NOTE: The Sulfnbk.exe file is not required to run Windows. It may be necessary if you need to restore long file names if the file names become corrupted. For additional information, read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description of Sulfnbk.exe and How to Replace the Program File (Q301316)

The virus/worm W32.Magistr.24876@mm can arrive as an attachment named Sulfnbk.exe. The Sulfnbk.exe file used by Windows is located by default in the C:\Windows\Command folder.

For full information click here.

Cool Good. Thanks...

Thank you both. I thought it might be, as I have seen this sort of thing before. I am running Win2k and did not have an ME box in completed condition. I told her to leave it sit, and that I would find out if there was a fix. This will please her as well. I am glad to be a member of this board...AO Rocks
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?