Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCNA Exam question

CCNA Exam question

has anyone taken the 640-607 exam? if so i was curious as to how much of it was memorization of the hundreds of IOS commands. there are a ton and i am not sure which are important. thx

it's all pretty much game...and i don't remember the test being very IOS intensive so i would definately place more of a focus on network architecture than IOS.

however, if you aren't comfortable working with IOS (while memorization may get you by - it's not the ideal experience level for the test.) personally, i would suggest putting the test off until you can get more exposure to it. but it's really a judgement call - with a good memory, you could do fine just by reading about a subset of commands.
    -droby10

thanks. i know a few of the commands by heart, however the study guide from cisco has hundreds of commands...i just dont want to not do well on it because i didnt sit there and mem all of the commands.

I'm gonna bring this one back up topside...

As some of you here know. I'm looking for work and not finding any. I went tonight to check out a school in my area that offers cert's (I wanna get a CCNA). But what is confusing me is how many courses are required to get the CCNA. Do I have to just take one course followed by the 640-607 exam or do I have to take a bunch?

There is only one CCNA exam to take. Most schools have a single course that is available that is for the CCNA exam. In addition check out your local Cisco rep. They have started offering FREE CCNA courses in some areas.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Originally posted here by mmelby
    There is only one CCNA exam to take. Most schools have a single course that is available that is for the CCNA exam. In addition check out your local Cisco rep. They have started offering FREE CCNA courses in some areas.
    My school lists multiple courses. I now suspect those courses are actually for the CCNP exam and they made a typo - thanks

My school has 4 courses you take over four semesters.
    (That is two years. This is what they recommended. You can cram them all in 1 year if you want.)
    That is actually all 8 Cisco semesters. Two Cisco semesters for one of our schools semesters.

If you are comfortable enough, you can just take the test.
    You don't have to take the courses if you know what you are doing.

Phishphreek80

CCNA

I recently took the ICND course in preparation for this exam. I have been practicing with Sybex's CCNA Gold. It's pretty good. I will probably take the exam in a few weeks after going over the material a little more. There is a CCAB course mentioned on the Cisco site, I believe, however, we were given a CD with the Basics. There was no prerequisite for the course. ICND is supposed to prepare you for the exam. I would probably recommend the college course since it is so much material. My class was only 5 days for 7 hours per day roughly.

OK just for clarification. There are a couple of training paths that are offered by Cisco. One is the Cisco Networking Academy Program. This program was mentioned above as being a four semester program training prep for the CCNA exam. IF you have the time and really want to lean the stuff I would recomend that path. Most CNAP school have a Cisco lab on site which comprises of 5 Cisco Routers and 2 Cisco switches. They allow hands on training for the entire course.

there is also Cisco Professional certification path which many of the 'professional' training center offer these course. There are week long or two week long programs for professional it is fast (really fast) paces classes as many of you are aware.

there are also many many many self-study book and the like that are avaiable. I used the Cisco CCNA exam prep, along with Transcender practice exam for my CCNA certification. I am also a Certified Cisco Academy Instructor.
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

I took the CCNA test twice. (and failed!!)

IOS commands are not all that important on the test. The most important thing is ?. I am serious, there was one question that asked something regarding the ?. Routing and IOS is pretty much cake. Though what I thought was tough and got the best of me was LAN management and WAN. It really requires some hands on experience.

For the tests I took there was A LOT of questions on ISDN. (lol my weakest area). Subetting is also very important. Classes and books will not be able to teach you subnetting that well. Subnetting is easy if someone teaches you an easy method.

The Cisco Networking Academy offered at my high school didn't teach me anything new that I didn't know. It's like, yay, I get to make a crossover cable. But it was more like a self-study class.

Good luck
    Benzene... simply C6H6
    Don\'t breathe it in!