Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up dial-up (fairly simple)

Setting up dial-up (fairly simple)

Now my friend doesn't know how to set up a dial-up connection, as he got broadband with his new computer, that is crazy!! I love using dial-up, sure cable is fine when I need to download something, but dial-up is good for more than one reason.
    1. It lags. Yes, I like the lag, I play a couple of online games, and the lag makes me much harder to kill
    2. Anonymity, you been making some enemies in those 1337 hax0r chans on IRC? If you are being attacked, or if you have a trojan on your computer than you have no idea how to remove, so you need to log on to the net to find out, then dial-up will offer more protection as it assigns to a different IP address each time logon. (Dynamic IP service) Or if somebody is trying to DDoS or DoS then reconnecting may help you avoid those bandwidth attacks.
    3. THE BEST REASON FOR A DIAL-UP ISPs IS: SHELLS! Many dial-up ISPs offer shell accounts, either for free, if you ask or for a small fee. Most broadband ISPs don't offer this because with broadband, you can cause a lot of mayhem, or maybe, like my cable ISP, they don't use a unix server to offer a shell account to. (DAMN SHAW! Doesn't use unix!)
    4. And the final good reason I can think of for using dial-up is: FREE!! There are free dial-up ISPs that are spread all over north america. I don't know about other countries but I am sure that there are some everywhere. The 2 main ones are Juno and Netzero, they have merged, but I use juno and haven't noticed any actual difference, in access numbers or anything like that. And though they use banners (there are ways to get around them, though I don't like that as these companies provide a valuable service and I hope they continue to do so)
    And one thing I want to get out of the way are war dialers. I just want to spend like 2 seconds explaining them, so plz bear with me here if you know all about 'em. War dialers call up a crapload'a numbers checking for a certain tone that sounds if there is a server on the other end and not somebody who can *69 yo ass! War dialers used to be very useful for finding BBSs etc. All that really old 80s/early 90s internet stuff. Now there isn't much point to it.

Anyways, goto your "my computer icon", click "dial-up networking" (You must have a modem to do this) and then click on "make a new connection". I only don't know if this works for XP as I don't have it and have never used it. Just add in your access number, and user name, then finish it, and then add in your password when you try to connect. So easy huh? Well, you know have the power to flame until the sun goes down on IRC. Use it wisely my son.

P.S. Sorry, this tutorial is kinda lame, but I just wanted to spread the word about the miracle of dial-up.

Hehe, I agree with and like some of your views. Funny, but nice, tute.

Dial up is not so safe, your IP may be random but you are still within a scope and well at least my firewall can see both modem access IP's but eve humm go figure a cable modem name. Thing is Hacking begain when it was a bunch of dot edu's and a few dot com's. Most then knew whom each was and systems (networks) a ok lets see what we can do. Now it is open game and I gotta play like it or not. Do Not think a dial up makes you safe cause it is a myth. Sure get banned call up the ISP get a new IP..clue dialup or modem all syatems now filter users and activities like port scans why? Caune if they do not control illigal activity and are banned by ligit people and networks none of their users will have access to squat.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Most broadband ISPs don't offer this because with broadband, you can cause a lot of mayhem,
    Your type of connection really has nothing to do at all with why ISP's dont provide shell accounts. With a shell acount, all your internet connection is doing is passing fairly small ammounts of text back and forth, for commands you type, and then back to show you output for those commands. A cable connection to your shell account would only allow you to execute a small amount more commands per minute than would a 56k modem connection.

The speed of your connection to the shell certainly matters a bit, as it will take longer for commands to pass back and forth on a dialup, but, all commands which require internet access are using the shell server's network connection, and not yours.

Shell accounts are hard to find because they open an ISP up to lots of liability if that shell account is used for illicit purposes. Also, due to the low number of people who want them, maintaining shell accounts does not make economic sense for most ISP's. Also, why use a shell account when you could run linux on a seperate partition on your machine? or, you could use cygwin for lots of the *nix experience on windows, there are several other options as well.

Actually, broadband ISPs are connected to the internet by a more powerful connection, as they have to split that connection up and dial-up ISPs are connected by a less powerful connection. Or so I have heard, I may be wrong, i was reading up on some online shells and stuff, so I may be wrong.

Trust me, I know that the speed from the user to their shell is negligable as nothing big is sent over the net. But I doubt some mom&pop dial-up ISP/shell provider is going to use an OC3 line, and get 45megabits when they have users that can only use 2 1/2 megabits, but cable ISPs need to provide more bandwidth, they need to set up some serious internet backbones, so if a shell provides access to something like that, and some guy logs in and types "ping antionline.com -t" or something, (I don't know the unix equivalent to the "-t" command) then he can do more damage as he is using a crazy ass 45megabit connection, and the kid using the mom&pop shell is only able to ping twice before he temporarily drains all the bandwidth from mom&pop.

i love dail-up connection, cos using dail-up connections you can manipulate lots of things on net, get new IP, Do lots of tricks, also serves alot, when using Sendmail to fake ya mails cos of the Random IP.

Banned
    Man, these kiddies have it easy now.. I'm sure a bunch of you remember BBS.... Now were going to have kiddies saying "What is Dial Up"

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    Trust me, I know that the speed from the user to their shell is negligable as nothing big is sent over the net. But I doubt some mom&pop dial-up ISP/shell provider is going to use an OC3 line, and get 45megabits when they have users that can only use 2 1/2 megabits, but cable ISPs need to provide more bandwidth, they need to set up some serious internet backbones, so if a shell provides access to something like that, and some guy logs in and types "ping antionline.com -t" or something, (I don't know the unix equivalent to the "-t" command) then he can do more damage as he is using a crazy ass 45megabit connection, and the kid using the mom&pop shell is only able to ping twice before he temporarily drains all the bandwidth from mom&pop.
    Well I work for a company that provides dial up and cable internet services, they run both off of the same back bone and servers. It really depends on the size of the dial up isp that you are connected to and how many users they are supporting.
    But I don't mean to pick a fight or start some 733T HAXOR flaming LOL ehhe
    But how is two 32 byte pings going to drain a 56 kilo byte connection?
    I dunno I used to be on some small dial up isp and I have never had that poblem.
    -=Legacy Boy=-

-= You mean there is stuff better then DOS? =-

Oh yea just one more thing cable internet back bones are a little bigger then 45 megs, I'll check up on the exact number for you I think I have it some where here,

-=Legacy Boy=-

-= You mean there is stuff better then DOS? =-