Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cpu speed

cpu speed

how do i find the speed of my processor in windows 98? i do not wish to use the bios. when i go to the properties of my computer i only get the type of processor and not the exact speed. thank you. also, i do not wish to use any 3rd party programs.
    A+, Network+ Certified.

Another program you could use is wcpuid, it will tell you everything about you cpu speed, system clock speed, even cache speed
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

sisoft sandra will provide extremely detailed info on just about everything on your PC including benchmarks...

neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Joey_Batch_File, that doesnt work on Win98
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I have used in Win95, Win98, and Win2k with no problems.

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Originally posted here by nebulus200
    I have used in Win95, Win98, and Win2k with no problems.

Neb
    Which Process?

How about this process?

Determine CPU Speed

From Windows Start, point to Programs, then to Accessories, and then to System Tools. Double-click the entry called System Information.

From the System Information program, pull down the Tools menu, and select Windows Report Tool to open it.

From Windows Report Tool, click to open the Options menu. Select Collected Information. CPU speed is reported there, under CompSpeed.

Found Here: http://howto.lycos.com/lycos/step/1,...+18438,00.html

For Systems Running NT you can use the process I stated before:

Press Start—>Run. In the box, type "winmsd" (without quotes). Your CPU speed will appear in the subsequent window. Look under SYSTEM on the pop-up...

when you start your computer, hit <tab> or F-something to hang on the system info that flies by. i believe (without restarting me computer) that your speed should be in there.

[edit]sorry too late... that is a MUCH better way. thanks joey[/edit]
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

If you have a software based motherboard then there is a good chance you could look in your bios and see what the current settings are. If your bios won't tell you the speed it is running at just the system clock speed and the multiplier, simply multiply the system clock by the multiplier and voila, that should be your current cpu speed. If you have a hardware based board then the easiest way to tell is with a program such as the ones listed above, or if you wanted you could read the documentation on your board and find out what jumpers do what, then use that to find out what your current clock and multiplier is set to. Just remember not to play with any of those unless you know what you're doing, if you overclock your computer on accident or on purpose without considering heat or stability then the consequences can be fairly bad, such as a cpu fused into the socket, which will cost you a new cpu and board...
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

Banned
    Originally posted here by Pecosian
    there is a good chance you could look in your bios and see what the current settings are.
    Pecosian your missing the point.

Originally posted here by coleycole3
    i do not wish to use the bios.