Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cpu speed

Alright, so basically coleycole3 is saying that he doesn't want use anything that didn't come in windows to see the cpu speed but he also doesn't want to use the bios. So MS Sysinfo is your only choice then, as nothing else comes with windows. I would suggest using a third party program like those listed above because it will tell you more about the processor but that's entirely up to you. Sorry for missing the part about not using the bios.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

coleycole3

Explore your Win98 CD and got to (CD DRIVE):\tools\oldmsdos look for the file named msd.exe. Copy this file to a bootable floppy and boot your system in a true DOS enviroment, not a dos window from within windows as this tends to give you false info. Run the msd proggy from the A: prompt and surf through the information, this will tell you what you want to know without any 3rd party stuff. Hope this helps.

Or here is the file you can download if your CD does not include it.

I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Actually, the later versions of dxdiag (can be executed right from the run box) show the processor speed right on the first tab, quick & easy to get basic information.

Direct X will usually tell you, just go to Start => Run... type in dxdiag.exe and hit enter. should be on the first tab of the screen that pops up.

GEL

Question Echo?

Actually, the later versions of dxdiag (can be executed right from the run box) show the processor speed right on the first tab, quick & easy to get basic information.
    Direct X will usually tell you, just go to Start => Run... type in dxdiag.exe and hit enter. should be on the first tab of the screen that pops up.

GEL
    Correct me if I am wrong...do I hear an echo in here?

Hello Hello Hello Hello...

oops, don't know why I didn't see that last one, my bad...

GEL

Talking No Prob...

LoL...No prob here GEL I almost posted that as a rebuttal to my last post, only wyverspur beat me to it. I give you an E for Effort anyway.

Old Fart
    You could check out Belarc Advisor, www.belarc.com , free download, functions as IE plug-in. It will tell you your cpu speed, chipset, bios, drivespace, etc, plus a list of all installed software on your box.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

right click on my computer
    goto properties

don't need to download anything, and thats the fastest way i know of.
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Question Why is this thread so negative?

How could something so simple be so contriversial, This thread should never have gone this way. coleycole3 Asked a very valid question, with the exception that it really should have been in the Chit Chat forum. As a newbie myself I have found it sometimes confusing where to post a new thread, and I never thought that there would be so many different views on CPU speed. I think I will just lurk for a while...