please help with fport install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help with fport install

please help with fport install

i feel like a complete twit for asking, but i've been trying for a while with nothing but frustration.
    i downloaded the foundstone_tools.zip from http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/infoterms.html and tried to open with winxip32.exe. everytime i do, i get a
    Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again.
    i have downloaded it three times (3rd times a charm, right?) to no avail. i still get the same error message.

has anybody else had this problem? how did you get around it? thanks in advance.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Qwerty.

I had no problem opening it with WinZip... Here is a screen shot...

thnx joey.

i can get into the fport.zip, but not the bunch. when i run fpoprt on my nt server, i get another error message.
    the dynamic link library psapi.dll could not be found i specified path...
    im going to install the dll so i can run fport, but i would still like to be able to get all of them in the one package rather than dl each individually.

Would you like me to zip & send you the package I have. It will ensure you get everything??? Just PM your e-mail addy...

Did you read the readme.txt?
    Readme for fport v1.31

fport reports all open TCP/IP and UDP ports and maps them to the owning application.

fport requires the usage of psapi.dll. On Windows NT, psapi.dll must be in the same dir,
    or path, as fport. For Windows 2000, this is not the case, since the system contains the
    .dll.

The program contains five (5) switches. The switches may be utilized using either a '/'
    or a '-' preceding the switch. The switches are;

/h - Help
    /a - sort by application
    /i - sort by process ID
    /ap - sort by application path
    /p - sort by port

To run the program, place the .exe and the .dll in the same folder and run the .exe.

For updates visit: www.foundstone.com
    Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

ammo: i sure did. i can get fport to work now, just cant open the foundstone_tools.zip for some reason. joey_batch_file is going to send me his copy that he got to work, so i'll try that. otherwise, i'll just dl all the files seperately. thanks.

[edit] i just didnt have the psapi.dll on the machine at all. some servers have it, some dont. i was the lucky one. [/edit]

Just for kicks, you may want to reinstall WinZip. I've downloaded the same file and had no trouble, and since that file is coming from Foundstone, it should be legit...
    - Maverick

thanks Maverick, but still no luck. i'm getting this message still:

Message WZ40

The Zip file cannot be opened. If this Zip file is part of a backup set, please insert the last disk of the backup set and try again (this is required by the standard Zip multi-disk format). You may subsequently be prompted to insert other disks from the backup set.
    If you downloaded this file, the most likely cause of this problem is a bad download. The best solution is almost always to download the file again. If this does not solve the problem, see the web page http://www.winzip.com/downprob.htm for hints on resolving download problems.

If you did not download this file, and it is not part of a backup set, it is either not a valid Zip file or it is corrupt, perhaps because of a bad diskette.

Copyright 1991-1998 Nico Mak Computing, Inc.
    thanks. it was worth a try.

Originally posted here by qwerty_smith
    thanks Maverick, but still no luck. i'm getting this message still:

thanks. it was worth a try.

Can you unzip any .zip file on your system? Try downloading something that is zipped just to see if you can unzip it.

What is your OS and what version of WinZip are you using?

Also, check the attributes for the .zip file, make sure that the only attribute that is checked is the Archive attribute...
    - Maverick

Qwerty - The files I sent you were zipped, did you have a problem opening any of those? Also I sent the package to the other e-mail address you sent. I am assuming it is there, I haven't got a message failed as of yet.