pay to dispose of pc?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pay to dispose of pc?

pay to dispose of pc?

CRTs are crushed by a special machine. The glass is reused for new picture tubes or sent to smelters that process lead. But people getting rid of old computers or TVs have to pay for this special handling. In California, it can cost between $20 and $65

We may have to pay a special "environmental fee" to get
    rid of old computers. Or, some have suggested to put a tax
    on new ones to cover the cost of recycling.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/...ing/index.html
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

would it not pay to referbish these machines and pass them on to a third world country or provide people who arnt well of with a cheap alternative. would nt this be better than destroying all our waste and having to pay for it

most governments stink,

If you wish to discard an operable computer, why not instead donate it to a local elementary school?
    I donated a Win95a, 133 Mhz Packard Bell to the music department of a local school.
    The teacher was glad to get it

The better choice is to send these computers to post communist countries (like Baltic countries) or to African peoples. For example in Lithuania very good salary is about 400 $. Many people works for 200 $. So how many peoples can buy new computers when P4 1,5 GHz with 256 ddr, 40 Gb hdd, and geforce3 + 17" CRT monitor costs ~1200-1300 $ ? Those old computers may help for many poor peoples.
    I don't understand why need to destroy them.
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

i think it would be better to donate computers to charity school`s poorer country`s etc but this isnt what rcgreen`s thread is about i thik he was wanting points of view on the cost of recyclig to get rid of your old machines and t.v`s i personally think if they want the planet cleaner with reciling u shouldnt need to pay for it and it would encourage more people to recycile just my 2 cents. please rcgreen correct me if im wrong
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

We have a group in our area that calls their group "Linux Geeks," though they don't have a website at present time. Their primary focus is taking that old beaten box, refurbing it, installing linux, and donating it to businesses, schools, and some low income homes. They are willing to take the time to teach the users about the OS before they just drop it off in their lap. Really a neat group, and all my old hardware ends up there.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Banned
    I agree that these computers should indeed be donated to those who need it. Such people as the poor, disabled, elderly, or even poverty stricken countries.

It may not seem like a lot, but it means the world to those who aren't fortunate enough to own a computer. Sometimes we tend to forget just how blessed we truly are.

We may have to pay a special "environmental fee" to get
    Well if you build your computer from OEM parts this shouldn't be a problem. Your all right donate if you can but some times you just have to chuck it. I know the dump I drop stuff off at already charges a little extra for things like computers, paint and other stuff containing toxic chemicals. Yes there are parts of the world were people have to actually physically move there trash to the dump instead of having it magically disappear from the drive way every Sunday. Almost enough to make you just chuck it in the ditch and just be done with it. So what if some small woodland critter gets its neck wrapped around the keyboard wire and dies. If itís that stupid does it even deserve to live? And screw the environment. What the environment done for youíre lately?

Cwk9 steps back from the keyboard and realizes that heís become one of the rednecks that he hates so much.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    What has the environment done for peaple? Well supply air. Supply us with the things we need to build things such as PCs and the environment helps give us food.

that's almost as bad as some places near where I live you have to pay to recycle
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.