Bill Gates spams the world

View Poll Results: How long should we have to wait before posting?

22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20 Seconds (as it was originally)

5 22.73%
  • 30 Seconds

3 13.64%
  • 45 Seconds

5 22.73%
  • 60 Seconds

6 27.27%
  • Longer then 60 Seconds

0 0%
  • There should be not limit

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Gates spams the world

Bill Gates spams the world

Bill Gates sent an e-mail to a lot of people bitchen about M$'s new security vision (Palladium).
    You can read about it here and here or straight from the horses mouth here

The point to this thread is not to debate weather Uncle Bill should spam people because he is rich and can do what ever the hell he wants. I'm more interested on your thoughts on palladium. When I first herd about palladium I thought my god m$ has gotten the hint about security. But then I started to see articles about how it would be integrated with hardware, Stop you from pirating mp3's, only allow you to run programs approved by M$ and other wise only existed so m$ could own your computer and therefore extend there monopoly. Of course palladium is still along way off and most of what you read is idle speculation. It never hurts to be cautious. If someone had told me several years ago that computer programs would spy on you for big corporations I would have dismissed that person as paranoid. Now days the only thing keeping the spy ware at bay is ad-aware.

For those of you who want to catch up on palladium.,00.html

I don't like the idea of hardware integration at all. As you said, just another extent of the monopolistic company. I'd start making my own or importing it from another country or something.

I hate Microsoft mainly for monopolistic companies (and for crashes to).

What if one television (eg. BBC) will be adding such things like palladium to TV's. Then you'll be able to see one television.

Nice try Bill, but this time you're true moron. Burn in hell.
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

I wouldn't be surprized if one day we wake up and have "MS" tatooed on the palm of our hands. Or out of no where we see "MS-Whitehouse".

Or for that matter, MS-USA.

This idea is nothing more then an attack upon the open nature of the Web. It was not designed to be run by one company it was designed to enable people to exchange info even in the event of a nuk attack. This company Disney, Record labels scram copy right digital management rights. They are the ones that opened their stuff to the internet built by public funds and research dollars. It is not the internets fault, it is not computer technology that is at fault. I simply say if they do not like this PUBLIC WEB then simply close their portals and their servers, stop producing shoddy products, from software to music. Remebr these things like a video recorder, to a Xerox copy were all called into question and it came to be consumer fair use and their right to make copies for their own use, throw in the 8 track tape and cassetts also. Thing is what is totally lost is people like MS do not answer to consumer laws they put it in their EULA's untill their and other products meet the same set of standards at least the food we eat you know ingreedent list so to speak of flaws they know are there an attempt to hide it by locking down hardware will kill the industry and other means will be made to get around their locks. MS was found GUILTY and any influnce they may have in DC should be voided, just look at the CORP swindles happening right now, a few wanted excluse power by any means. Bill holds no special vision of anything he gets attention from media because of money there is a total lack of news now days it is all about ratings and news casters now are treated like some damn star from hollywood hope there are some sharp and young news reports that go after this bulking of the world by MS.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

MIght as well as say MS-Earth since Palladium's proprietary version of TCP/IP (developed to eliminate security issues in Windows) would give MS control of the Internet. Goodbye OSs that won't have this feature.

Proprietary TCP/IP. Holy S*it they really are trying to own the internet.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

Old Fart
    Typical MS mindset. I'm not gonna buy an MS product that doesn't allow me the choice to do what I want to do. Whoops, I did that when I bought Windows, didn't I? I'm not giving anymore of my fast disappearing freedom away to Bill & Co. As a matter of fact, Palladium is beginning to make me realize that its time to get off my sorry duff and learn linux. If Palladium is the future, I'll just hang here in the past thank you very much.
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Seattle, WA
    I would just like to dig out a little bit here in case some people are working under misconceptions... Microsoft doesn't have a good idea here, BUT...

Basically it just lets you CHOOSE THE AUTHORITY TO TRUST who signs programs. MS *may* hold a directory of different self-appointed-authorities, but you have to choose which to trust. You may choose to trust Bob's Neat Programs, if you want, or even make your own and digitally sign your own programs under the name of "John's Freeware"...

Of course, who says MS is doing to do it quite that simply? :P But it was never said that ANY PROGRAM you use MUST be vetted by MS, but it seems like some people are taking it that way.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

The way I understand it, this dovetails into the push
    for digital rights management, and has as its
    heart, newly designed hardware, includind processors,
    drives, sound & video cards that physically limit
    what you can do with digital data. The PC would become
    more like a "smart" TV, a device for the delivery of
    digital entertainment, rather than the fully programmable
    computer it is today.

Hacking is a by-product of the openness of the PC
    architecture, and the openness of the internet.
    The only way to eliminate hacking and piracy
    is to cripple the PC, to make it impossible for the
    average user to obtain compilers, keep hardware
    design secret, and to accomplish all of these objectives
    through the force of law, because no one would accept
    such a scheme unless threatened by severe penalties.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.