Open source Alt to MP3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open source Alt to MP3

Open source Alt to MP3

Well just when the corp boys and grrls think they have MP3 nailed down along comes another format go figure Ogg Vorbis official release is here read the news at http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945228.html?tag=fd_top. Bet more body parts at the music biz are puckering now.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Yeah, I use GRIP with CDPARANOIA ripper and OGGENC and works great!

Even games (like upcomming UT2003) on windows using now OGG VORBIS music format. Because MP3 license is not cheap. And OGG format is as good as MP3. OpenSource is taking the world.

Since today I'm starting ripping CD's in ogg format. Most players supports that format and it's better and above all its open source.

Commercial Products have no future.

Wow what a difference between OGG and MP3 in sampling rates. Ogg 44 kHz is smaller in size than MP3 22kHz. And of course the sound quality is better. It's UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Guys! You got to hear those samples!
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

I did a little test myself. I had a WAV 35.602 Mb and encoded it to OGG VORBIS and MP3 formats (the same quality).
    Quality: bitrate: 160 kbps, sampling rate 44.1 kHz.

Results:
    OGG: size: 3,400,606 b. MP3: size: 4,134,139 b.
    We got unbelievable results here. 734 kilobytes diference. And I must say that OGG VORBIS sound quality is better than MP3.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

Well want to fight a corp takeover of this space and M$ tests prove again a corp cannot hire the best tallent nor claim this space as theirs was their choice to come out here. Claim this place for your country for people not a corp sell access. Youth can make a difference I did as an 18 year old the first to win the right to vote at 18 then take pause to the generations before you that gave their life so you could sit doing what you are doing. Were simple people on a battle ground defending the right of all people to be to live not at a cost but as a right of humanity, there is no magic in a corp just greed and the effort to control sit high upon the hill, no matter what they build it is not a home. Choice is out here
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Heh.
    Good and true words here.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

Old Fart
    I can hear the RIAA speed-dialing their lawyers from here....

Good Post Palemoon....very interesting!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

uid(zer0): The reason the OGG VORBIS sound file was smaller was because of a variable-bit-rate-encoding... It will take the number you give it, and + or - a few, depending on the complexity. If both were done at 160kbps, then they'd be the exact same size. It's just that the OGG encoder will use less if less is needed, instead of using a the same amount for a simple sound.

BTW, I brought up OGG VORBIS in IRC a few days to a week back, and hopefully got a few converts... Also, I've read that converting an MP3 into OGG will result in a lower-quality VORBIS file... Keep the MP3 instead of converting it into OGG, unless you want to loose a little bit of quality, since your music program can probably support both...

<edit>Here's a link to the vorbis site. You can get a lot of stuff from there, etc. http://www.vorbis.com/ </edit>

-Tim_axe

1. Who will try to convert MP3 to OGG? It's silly.
    2. OGG sound quality is better. I know what I had heard from my speakers today.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

ok. now that we have choices how many of you think they will start to try to charge people for using mp3, much like they are trying for jpegs and gifs?
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?