Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocities trouble

Geocities trouble

Greetz all.
    Seeing as I'm too poor to buy an actual website, I've been stuck using Geocities. But I've got a little problem. I do most of my web-designing at night, and so I'm sitting in my room on my laptop (running Win95). Recently, I've had time during the day to update the site, but I use my desktop (running WinME). The Geocities server deal works fine on the laptop, but when trying to connect to rd.yahoo.com on my desktop, nothing happens. This is not good. I need to be able to update the site from my desktop PC. Any ideas on any settings that might be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    --PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

The Iceman Cometh
    Check your cookie and pop-up/banner settings. It's possible that your desktop settings are blocking you from accessing the site.

AJ

Check out your security settings for ME. And make sure you are not using a firewall or something that filters internet traffic. For the former check out the IE internet options and check out all the tabs. And if you are using dial-up, well, is could be any of a host of problems. It doesn't connect to rd.yahoo.com (it=desktop) but does it connect to other sites? And also run a full virus scan, one I had was slowly screwing up my internet connection, because it was trying to contact something, never found out what, but with each failed connect it would try more and more. So run a virus scan.

I dont know bout that but my Computer TEACHER HATES windowME she said that's they sold it in the market without even reviewing the softwares capabilities and vulnerabilities and other stuff that all i know bout that.... Im not so familliar with that trouble maybe you can check the internet option in your computer..... Im sorry cant help you that much .........

hrms...why use geocities when there are many other better free hosting companies out there? you just got to know where to look.
    For example, http://fateback.com
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

GreekGoddess
    I'll have to agree with morfius on that...Don't use Geocities, there are so many better free hosting options out there. I use Angelfire, at least for the time being, as I'm about to buy my own space, FINALLY. And you can disable Angelfire's popups on their pages, which is great, and less annoying than that close box on Geocities pages.

I would highly recommend going to:
    http://www.freewebspace.net/

And see the providers they have to offer...it's really a great site.

i also agree with gg and morfius... another decent webhost that is free is www.brinkster.com
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Hmm... the first two posts attempted to help my problem (neither did, unfortunately) and the rest pretty much called me stupid for making the choices that I have made, and offered no help with my current situation... thanks alot.

Well, I guess I'll keep on trying to figure this out on my own.
    --PhirePhreak

On second thought, I looked at FateBack and it looks to be worth a try. Seriously, thanks for that, morfius.
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Any you know a free web server that lets you have EXE files for download but not angelfire format

some do allow it but nothing above 200 k , i was looking closer to 400k
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Post hosts/exe files

im surprised that nobodys gone to hostultra.com they have ftp, a pop up but its 10 seconds after they leave your site and infinite storage/bandwidth and if it wont let you upload exe files just zip them or archive them with winRAR. you can find these files and more here:keyscreen.com(no this isnt my site and im not an affiliate advertising for them)
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.