Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: net send - a wonderful skiddie deterrant

Cool net send - a wonderful skiddie deterrant

The other day my daughter came to me and said she could not get on-line with her computer. She was using my sons account, which was fine because he was not home and naturally not using it. I try the computer myself and get an error telling me that this account is in use, access denied. after determining that the computer is set up right I go to my box and log into the system ( I am the Director of the ISP with full admin rights ) I check to see who is on-line and lo and behold it says my son is on. Knowing he is out of town I immediatly go to the radius logs to look for anomylies, I see that one of my sons friends (whose account recently expired due to non payment) tried to log in several times without success, then I see his attempts at trying other combos of user/pass. Then by sheer luck he stumbled on my sons combo and was on-line, and had been for over 250 minutes. So, first I just thought of booting him off and changing the password, that was too easy and that would just entice him to try harder. So I remembered "net send" So I sent him a message that read:

You are Ilegally logged into another user's account!
    Your IP address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Your call is originating from (I inserted his address here)
    And your phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. An e-mail with this information is being sent to the Administrator of this network, and copies are being sent to the local authorities and the F.B.I.
    You will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law! Have a nice day.
    In less than 5 seconds my "son" logged off. I asked my son later to go by his friends house and see whats up. He came home and told me that he had formatted his hard drive, disassembled his system, and had it hidden in various places around the house. My son just rolled on the floor laughing at him, when he asked if our system had automated security.

I have not heard from this kid yet, but my radius logs are almost clear of attempts of hacking into the system, I Believe that I found the skiddie that I have been looking to nail for months.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

It's funny.
    Give man a fish and he will ask for more.
    Teach man to fish and he will never ask again.
    \"Chinese proverb\"

Cool, is that true? Are you really director of the ISP? I need somethin answered plz, can you just connect directly to the backbone and use that as the internet connection?? If I could do dat, I would never leave my ISP building. But fortunately my sister's work has an OC3 line, they don't pay for all of it, but enough to have lots of fun testing it. Lol, I had setup my own server, but the IS guy found out and got rid of it. Ah well. That is funny stuff though, you should've added is something like "I'm calling your mommy and daddy" or "I am now changing all your grades to Fs" or "YOU HAVE JUST WON A GRAND PRIZE, ALL EXPENSES PAID TRIP TO THE SLAMMER". Would have ruined the message bit, but would've been hilarious. Still, really funny though.

hahahaha nice work
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

Cool, is that true? Are you really director of the ISP? I need somethin answered plz, can you just connect directly to the backbone and use that as the internet connection??
    Yes it is very true -- LoL.
    Yes I am, and what I can connect to at my office is 2 Fiber Optic T1's roughly 3.15 mbit of bandwidth.
    Yeah its sweet, on a new install of Win2k it only takes about 30 minutes total to update and patch it. I have had downloads reach over 700kilobytes per second. But, I work out of my home most of the time and use a standard modem and dial-up account.

Yeah its sweet, on a new install of Win2k it only takes about 30 minutes total to update and patch it. I have had downloads reach over 700kps. But, I work out of my home most of the time and use a standard modem and dial-up account.
    Hehe, damn. Lots of patches. That sucks, but MS is MS, it is the price you use for the wide range of apps and the support of other users out there. Plus the easy to use interface, still they charge lots and put you through hell trying to secure your system. Ah well. So I see you are a dial up provider, dang, I was hoping you had like an OC48 or something, that would be insane, you could have the power of a DDoS attack many times over, ahem, not that it would be proper to use the connection in that way, just hypothesizing. *runs to his sister's work, uses the OC3 line to get revenge on those who DDoS'd him last year*

Wow...just had a tiff with the wife...and really needed the laugh.... Thankx!! I will keep gettin' good chuckles out of this for a while...
    \"When you understand yourself and you understand the enemy you cannot be defeated.\" Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Originally posted here by aeallison

Yes it is very true -- LoL.
    Yes I am, and what I can connect to at my office is 2 Fiber Optic T1's roughly 3.15 mbit of bandwidth.
    Yeah its sweet, on a new install of Win2k it only takes about 30 minutes total to update and patch it. I have had downloads reach over 700kps. But, I work out of my home most of the time and use a standard modem and dial-up account.

Ummm... am I missing something or perhaps I've been up for too many hours in a row -- isn't 3.15mbit closer to about 400kbps? And why does it make a difference if it's fiber if it's only a couple Ts? (actually sounds more like a T1c) LOL

Cute story, nonetheless - I wrote something similiar in nagture for my MS honeypots a while back... seems to be pretty good at reducing the number of "repeat offenders" if you will... though I don't use MS products unless I can't avoid it (eg. UT only runs on Winblowz).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Ummm... am I missing something or perhaps I've been up for too many hours in a row -- isn't 3.15mbit closer to about 400kbps? And why does it make a difference if it's fiber if it's only a couple Ts? (actually sounds more like a T1c) LOL
    Fiber is better and much faster, our provider for the fiber said that 30,000 + simultainious phone conversations can take place on a single strand of fiber, we have 2 strands, We can send a ping packet to the west coast and back about 5000mi round trip in less than 4ms.
    Regular T1s are on copper and the longer the wire the more resistance, fiber has no resistance at all, hence our data travels at the speed of light. the only thing that slows our customers down is the analog cannection to the CO from their phones. And besides, I am quoting speeds reported by windows software....you are correct in your assumption. But, I have not the same experiance with copper T1s.

Originally posted here by aeallison

Fiber is better and much faster, our provider for the fiber said that 30,000 + simultainious phone conversations can take place on a single strand of fiber, we have 2 strands, We can send a ping packet to the west coast and back about 5000mi round trip in less than 4ms.
    Regular T1s are on copper and the longer the wire the more resistance, fiber has no resistance at all, hence our data travels at the speed of light. the only thing that slows our customers down is the analog cannection to the CO from their phones. And besides, I am quoting speeds reported by windows software....you are correct in your assumption. But, I have not the same experiance with copper T1s.
    Hmmm... but you don't get any additional benefit out of those additional strands of fiber - it's just there to make expansion a bit easier for the phone companies (much easier to throw someone on a strand them to have to dedicate copper to them); so it's essentially more economical for the phone companies... however, in the case of back-hoe accidents, the mean time to restore goes up exponentially.

Regular T1s may be on copper, but don't they both generally go through a local loop and back to the CO? Sure, you can run a much longer strand of fiber with fewer errors, but it's not like most cities don't already have adequate repeaters. (and I think by resistance you might mean interference?

In fact, I've read a few reports that would actually indicate that near capacity, fiber is actually slightly slower than copper. (and from what I seem to remember from physics, electron drift is generally fairly slow (ie. current) while the electric signal actually moves at the speed of light)

<edit>The theories on the slowness seem to tend towards the physical make-up of the packets on each media and the conversion of electrical impulses in to and out of photon energy</edit>

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that what tends to make you faster or slower than one ISP or another seems to have more to do with such things as router configurations, capacity of the line, protocols used, and the provider... most copper issues I've personally seen tend to just be a crappy line or similiar.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"