Thread: Firewall written in VB6 bad?

Firewall written in VB6 bad?

For quite some time now, I have been using PCViper as my firewall software, on my Win98SE dial-up box. It seems adequate for my needs, and has quite a good packet-logging facility. However, someone somewhere said that they thought it was written, at least in part, in VB6, and implied that might not be a good thing. Could someone explain why this might be a problem? If it does represent a serious problem, I would have to consider switching, perhaps to KPF or the like.

Don't you mean TPF?

Well, no matter what language a firewall is written in it will never secure Windows. Not being a hardcore VB programmer myself, I don't see how the language itself is a bad idea for firewalls, I'd stick with C++.

Originally posted here by jethro
    Don't you mean TPF?

Well, no matter what language a firewall is written in it will never secure Windows. Not being a hardcore VB programmer myself, I don't see how the language itself is a bad idea for firewalls, I'd stick with C++.

Thanks. By KPF I meant Kerio Personal Firewall. I appreciate the response, nice to hear that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with using VB to write a firewall. Cheers

Oh right, I thought you meant Tiny's Personal Firewall. Again, I'm not a hardcore VB programmer, but I do dabble in it from time to time and I have found nothing wrong with the fundamentals, however, since it has it's roots in BASIC, I don't like it's unique syntax.

I'd bet the part written in VB is only the GUI... It would be pretty hard/ugly to write driver/kernel level code in VB...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss