Are portscans ok to do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are portscans ok to do?

Are portscans ok to do?

I'm just wondering wether port scans are legal or not. I heard a little of both views -- some say that it just like driving by a house to see if any windows are open -- others see it as a hacking threat. Some ISP's don't like you doin it either (I didn't see anything realted to that in the legal stuff from my ISP), so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong....only reason I do port scans is cuz I want to know who is on the other end of the code red attempts on my (apache) server, and leave a message for the admin if I can.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

This is about the 100th thread on the same topic. I'm sure a quick search of the forums will give you all the info you need.......

Well Yanksfan looking at the sig I'd say check with the commanding officer. Lots of threads yes on the subject. Answer in general if your netorked is scanned and I am sure it is from all over, yes scan back and send admin a message most always email port 25 is open. No offense to anyone one Yank answering another. How are the Yanks doing this year BTW?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Thanks for your post. As for the yanks, they're doin great, as usual
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

There usually considered legal, but are usually not tolerated by ISP's AUP...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Banned
    I doubt any ISP will punish you for running a portscan, though they may frown upon it. Do you have a valid reason for one? If you do then I would say, give them a call, and explain your situation and ask them their policy regarding it. It is faster than reading those agreements that take a lawyer to write and a laywer to dechiper. I think it is a scam, that way you need 2 lawyers, hehe. But seriously, give your ISP a call, it is better than finding out you're getting disconnected. And if you don't have a valid reason for want to run a portscanner then best advice is don't run them. But call up your ISP and ask, can't hurt, but *67 it, and don't identify yourself or, who knows, they may watch/monitor you. I doubt it, but can't be too careful.

i say this is up to the user.

you don't know if their legal or illegal.

some places allow (isp i'm speaking of)

so really to me, if you don't feel like being a threat do it, if you do, don't.
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Banned
    Originally posted here by khakisrule
    I doubt any ISP will punish you for running a portscan.
    Yes they will, I have know of a few that were banned from a specific two ISP for port scanning. I would read your ISP's Terms of Service on this Topic, and if you work for a company I would send an e-mail to all IT departments making them aware of the testing.

i think it has a lot to do with what you do with the scanning information, and the type of port scan you use, a lot of port scaners especially stealth and passive scaners don't actually intrude on a system but some actively test the exploits.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

If you do decide to scan do a stealth scan.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.