Thread: a little help

Question a little help

ok, im trying to teach myself open source...i have a basic understanding of programming and blah blah, i know html, a little javascript and i understand c++. i got a template from www.oswd.org and i no how to change all the basic things but im not entirely sure about one thing...
    instead of making each link lead to a new page can i just make it change the text and pics on the already existing page so that they dont have to reload the page every time.

im guessing it probably means i need to use frames....will somebody plz either reply to this or pm me and tell me, im new to open source unfortunately....
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say "open source", but there are several ways to dynamically change the content on 1 page based on a set of parameters. Probably the easiest way to do this is with PHP. As a basic example, you could write your page with PHP, and have every link point back to the same page with different URL variables like:

page.php?images=img1dir
    page.php?books=bookdir1&images=img1dir

At the beginning of your PHP page, you would simply have different if statements telling the page what to do on the basis of the different variables. You may even be able to hide the variables you're passing through the URL with the use of javascript (but please don't quote me on that one! )

Using PHP you can have several different variables passed through the URL, or through cookies, or through session variables.

PHP isn't the only language that can do this either. I'm sure that ASP can do this, and many other languages can do something like this through the use of a CGI script.

Hope that helps!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

I'm not quite sure what you mean but I think maybe if i give you the first few relevent lines somebody could help me better since I have no clue what I'm doing really.

<style TYPE="TEXT/CSS">
    <!--
    body {margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 10px}
    .topic {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold; color: #74F600}
    a.box:link {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #FFFFFF; font-weight: bold ; text-decoration: none}

plz help me, im lost and i dont no what im doing...
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

mrcoffee12, that's just the CSS code. Do you want to know how to change your font attributes... please reiterate.

roswell1329: Maybe mrcoffee12 meant the PHP code is open source...

Lightbulb DIV?

If you know html and javascript you can try using rollovers. They're generally used with images, but I tried them on tables and they worked. You can set the "hidden" attribute of some tables and change them when someone clicks the links so that the page changes.
    Maybe you can try putting between the <DIV> tags some different layouts of the pages you want and use them as rollovers.

Sorry if I'm not specific, but I haven't been using html at a proper level for too long.

Roccobarbi.

well roccobarbi, i dont no much javascript,
    i know html, a little javascript
    and thanks for the suggestion of using a rollover on a table, ill try that.

alittlebitnumb, really have no idea. I got it from here if you go there its a variation of the rubbermade music design, ive removed a bunc of things and change it around so now it looks like this. if you look at it what i want is to be able to make the navigation links from the left in the main menu open just into the bottom right of the table and i want the links in the links thing to pop-up their own windows, but i can get that on my own. if roccobarbis suggestion doesnt work ill post back here and say so.

o well, i got it figured out now, whole problem solved...just get my sister to rewrite the whole thing , actually she complained that the coding was "atrocious" and that she would rewrite the page just to make the coding look better

a suggestion, when i clikced on one of your links, i was totally bombed with pop up ads. It was kinda crazy, if you would like to know of free hosting with no ads, i can give you refereneces. Other than that, i liked how that site looked. I tought about messing with that design from oswd, but i really didn't like the code. cheers mate!
    Danis
    >> >: (^) ADION - {spread}

get hammers