Thread: help installing linux mandrake8.2 on new computer

Question help installing linux mandrake8.2 on new computer

im curently downloading linux mandrake 8.2. for my pc i just bought my pc about a month ago. It is a hewlett packard pavillion 750c and has an intell pentium 4 proccessor. I also have a 69 gig hd. Im running windows xp home addition and i have no expeirience with linux. im putting it on for educational puposes. i also have a cable modem hooked to my usb port. Im asking for help with the installation. what is the best partition size and how would i install it without hurting my xp os. will i be able to use my modem through the usb port. im a newbie here and this is my first post. sorry if its in the wrong place or is not clear enough. ill be willing to answer any questions i just need the opinions. thanks ahead of time.

[gloworange]favyan[/gloworange]

fyavan,

Check out the following:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/index.html (index to Mandrake Documents)
    http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/i3boot.html (answers your question on dual-boot)

also, to make sure all your hardware is compatible with Mandrake go to:
    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3 (see if your modem is supported)

and finally,

alt.os.linux.mandrake (newsgroup) is worth a visit as many people there post common problems and answers to do with Mandrake Linux.

Good Luck and have fun with Linux.

thanks alot ill visit those sites.

you have a couple options, you'll need a shade over a gig for mandrake but mandrakes install is very friendly (friendlier than windows) and it'll use a fat32 partition for itself but I suggest using a program called system commander.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Hi,
    If you're going to dual boot Mandrake 8.2 with Windows XP, you need to understand that you will need to create space on your hard disk for Mandrake. This means repartioning. Windows XP uses the NTFS (New Technology File System). Most disk partitioning tools will not correctly handle NTFS. Get a copy of Partition Magic or Partition Manager and install. You can buy Partition Magic at a store, and you can google Parition Manager and find where to buy it. After you install one of these you can use it to resize your NTFS partion and create space for Mandrake. If you have a 40 gig hard drive you could give half to Linux and half to Windows. After you resize your NTFS partition, you need to make sure you can boot the installation CD from your CDROM. If it won't boot, you made need to change your BIOS setting to allow it. Reboot your computer, and start tapping the F-1 key. This should bring up a screen where you can change your BIOS if need be. Set it to allow you to boot from your CDROM. After you do this, put in the first installation CD and reboot. This should bring up the Mandrake Installation Program. The directions are fairly self-explanatory. When you get to the disk partitioning screen, you will have a choice of options. I recommend the automatic partitioning if you are new. You should choose the install on free space option. The install program will automatically partition the linux partitions for you. Then, just continue through the rest of the installation program. It should automatically configure your network, printing, X Windows, etc. As the French would say, tres facile.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

i thought it was se facile lol

well thanks alot you all been a great help
    the computer was the best invention ever made if you agree with me say I