Thread: Real software to get Microsoft spin

Real software to get Microsoft spin

"RealNetworks on Monday will unveil a new open source version of its streaming media software that supports multiple file formats for audio and video, including those that use Microsoft's Windows Media technology."

This one will be fun to watch.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945406...=cnet&tag=lthd
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Wow, that was the last company I thought would make anything open source. I now have a newfound respect for them. Is it a trend, or is people getting tired of Microsoft?

I am looking forward to that one myself.

The Iceman Cometh
    Does this mean I won't have to use their overblown RealOne Player anymore? I was using RealPlayer 8 Plus for a long time, but I was getting sick of all of the messages telling me to update, so I finally upgraded to RealOne. Biggest mistake I could have made. It's full of features I'll never use and just sucks up system resources when it's running. The only reason I use it is to listen to/watch some streaming audio/video. Hopefully this will help minimize the need for using that program.

AJ

I think it people are really getting sick of M$. I know if some of the programs I use were made open source I'd stilll buy and use them if I could dump MS. So I hope the trends carry on with other software

I think it people are really getting sick of M$. I know if some of the programs I use were made open source I'd stilll buy and use them if I could dump MS. So I hope the trends carry on with other software.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehehe, no, the last company to go open source (with TRUE source code), is Microsoft.

Absolutely no question about that at all.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I didn't even count MS because that's a thought that never occured to me or Bill Gates. hehe.

Y'know, I've always been a bit suspicious of Real because of the way they just jampacked a lot of seeming junk into their player... but I would like to really applaud their initiative, I predict one of the first applications will be some nice non-MS-Spying-On-You player software for those MS-proprietary formats.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I've always pondered over why MS needs to send ones play list to them. Sure they don't use it they say, if not they can change it at any time with no notice. Remeber the person that begain Real was an Ex M$ exec, think it's great they reversed engineered what M$ did lets see how this plays out with the DMCA will it be OK for the big corps to do this but not some researcher or student. Since it is open source at least we can see what Real is up to and whats up with M$ stuff.