need help with rundll32

Thread: need help with rundll32

need help with rundll32

hi
    ok heres the proplem. im running windows xp and i just got my pc about a month ago. i am having proplems with my cpu usage. every time i start up my pc and without doing anything my cpu usage goes up to 100%. i have 512 ddr ram and i have an intel pentium4 1.8 gigahert processor. y is this hapening. i did ctrl+alt+del and looked at my processes and its seems to be my rundll32 that is using everything up. my pc runs slower that usual when this happens. any comment and opinions are appreciated thanks ahead of time

favyan
    the computer was the best invention ever made if you agree with me say I

well easy contact ur unit vendor and ask for assitance or use ur warranty

Old Fart
    1. Make sure you have visited the windows update page and gotten all of the patches.
    2. It is possible that you may have a virus, so update and run a scan. If you don't have an anti-virus program, go to www.grisoft.com and get AVG..its free and works great.
    3. According to MS KB article #Q315268, run32dll is part of a command line string that can lock up an XP machine.
    4. I'd follow anthonys advice... if it's not a virus, contact the vendor. Hope this helped!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

thanks for the advice ill do that

you may also look into what software is running... I have noticed a few problems with HP's all in one software (officejet 720, etc) that will suck up a large amount of resources.... (although it is a different process for some reason it tends to cause win32 as well as the explorer processes jump up in usage quite a bit.

also look at software such as Ez cd creator (I've seen the directcd installs go funky every once and a while and cause this) as well as pull a virus scan (just a typical response to strange problems) Much like allenb said... update windows, but also update any other software running on the machine... and when all else fails... contact your vendor
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

thanks thejrc

I'm assuming when you say it starts at 100% that it stays at 100%.

On my network, I've had many problems with HP Vectras and rundll32. rundll32 would initiate with a dial-up connection and then not terminate when my user hung up (this was before we Finally got DSL!). Usually, the system would freeze until I ended the rundll32 task.

I agree with all the steps anthony_1_ph & allenb1963 listed. Also, MS has a page dedicated to DLL definitions. Thought I had the link here at the house but don't :-(

Good luck!