Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious- most viewed profiles

Curious- most viewed profiles

Has anybody else become suspicious about the abuse of the most viewed profiles list? The user on the top of the list is frozen, somebody who is relatively new and (no offense, sorry frozen) hasn't done anything extraordinary, like written a tutorial on warez or something that would warrant all those views. And before him, there was komal on that list, komal, a guy that was banned, repeatedly! Methinks some users have too much time on their hands. Is ther any way to protect the system against this kind of abuse? Such as blocking an IP temporarily after too many views? I just don't like to see the system abused.

EDIT: I talked to komal, on an online game. He flames more than me I think I know why he got banned. I'm gonna ask him if he was the one that put his profile on top of the list. And ask him for his signature. It was funny.

The Iceman Cometh
    You don't like to see the system abused, yet you both manually forced your profiles into the Top 10 list? That sounds somewhat hypocritical to me. As for the suggestion about blocking an IP temporarily, it could be handled easier by adding information to the cookie or to the database. Simply allow each person to view every profile as many times as they want, but only allow them to add to the number of views once. There are plenty of sites which do that, especially onces which allow voting, etc. Even here, the voting polls are set up so that users can only vote once... Just modify whatever does that within the database to include keeping track of viewed profiles.

AJ

someone posted regarding this in site suggestions last week...could be a simple fix to prevent profiles from incrementing when viewing ones own account...as pointed out...some people use their profile to keep track of active threads...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Banned
    I don't know what is going on, but I have over 23,000 posts, and I just signed on this afternoon?????

Whoa, I never put my name on that list! I swear! Why would I be so dumb as to post something to prevent that kind of abuse and then go and abuse the system myself? I am serious you guys, I never did that. I don't know who did, probably somebody looking to get me negs, and the succeded. All to well. But honestly, I wouldn't do something like that, I would rather get my name on the tutorials list. Though I am stuck on subjects. Believe me? P.S. Did I spell succeded correctly? I'm not dumb, it just doesn't look right to me.

EDIT: adven, I just saw your name on there, does that mean you forced your name on the list? And does that mean you deserve negs as well?? No, at least i don't think you did, somebody just wanted to screw with the list, and that is my point.

The Iceman Cometh
    How the hell did Gurl and I get on there? Granted, we've both had quite a few views of our profiles, but nowhere near enough to warrant getting on there. I think someone is messing with it to prove that others can change who appears on the list (so it's not only a problem that we should not be allowed to increment the number of views on our own profiles).

AJ

Joey not hard to write a batch file real basic stuff sit back and watch a loop a few minutes. Report a bug better remember that the % of people that post is small and the viewers large. Is it a flaw, were you social engineered, or maybe someone has a profile going on you or maybe someone still has an axe to grind with AO khakisrule you talk to people that have been banned.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Sorry Palemoon, I was slow to write this:

FYI you could use a simple frameset which refreshed the profile in a frame very quickly, especially on >56k connection, and that's just a simple html way to do it. I've noticed virtual sit-ins which have this style system to try to DDOS a number of sites via a bunch of subframes that the activist leaves running.

I'm simply pointing out that the original thread was started by one person and another responded to do this they had to be logged in. Who ever appears next could be me but I did not start the thread a user did now it is simply a question of distracting everyone from the original thread startes and who exchanged words in it.

My point Fated either HTML what ever it is not real hard to do just used a batch file as an example. Either way it is basic stuff and not respecting the site, just cause you find a flaw one has to exploit it? Whay not a PM to JP someone is strutting their stuff and I'm not impressed.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg