Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got probs with internal modems in Linux

got probs with internal modems in Linux

i am using the dial up internal Motorola SM56 PCI speakerphone modem.. i don't know how to set it up in Linux... i tried to setup it but it always says busy... and i asked some ppl, and they said that linux still have probs with internal modems.. is it true? what ur opinion?... and how i wanna set my modem?!?

make sure that it is not a winmodem. Winmodem's are designed to only work with windows. Go here to find compatible modems that will work for linux. http://www.linmodems.org/
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Banned
    not true about winmodems, there designed to pass off all of its work to the processor. if you get a message that its buisy you might also wanna check that your actualy querying the modem and more something else, cause im my experiance with winmodems they tend to report buisy if they are looking on the wrong device

winmodems aren't "supposed" to work under linux, but they can, because I bought a winbook a while back, and installed red hat 6.1 only to find out that it had a ltwinmodem, so I had to ask around for help on it, but eventually I found a driver that would run it.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Most PCI modems are winmodems, if you install an ISA one I'm sure it will work.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by Cicatrix
    Most PCI modems are winmodems, if you install an ISA one I'm sure it will work.
    Most new motherboards no longer have ISA slots, but AFAIK, all external
    modems are fully compatible with any operating system.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted here by rcgreen

all external
    modems are fully compatible with any operating system.
    SETH27_US

Last time I checked the only "winmodems" (software modems) that worked under Linux were the ones built using Lucent's chipset.

Most PCI modems (if not all) are software modems, with drivers written for windows only. It is best to get an externel hardware modem, that will be your best bet for compatibility.

--Sudo

Exclamation Linux and Winmodems

OK, so you're modem is a motorola chipset, so you're in an uphill battle. Conexant(Rockwell) and Lucent chipsets have a large list of drivers available but, here is a few places to start:

www.linmodems.org

www.tlpd.org ----> HOW-TO:Winmodems; HOW-TO:Modems

This list can get you started in the direction you want to go. I will tell you now, that if it is a software modem(no hardware driver), then you might want to try and sell the one you have now and get a Conexant chipset, or a Lucent Chipset modem. And also, you will probably not be able to use the speakerphone capabilites of that modem, just the regular modem features...

PM me if you need any help, I already fought this uphill battle with modems and Linux
    BEGIN VIRUS.EXE
    There is no spoon, but you yourself that bends...
    END VIRUS.exe