our kids future.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: our kids future.

our kids future.

Hi guys.I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we had quite a interesting discussion about kids spending to much time in front of the computer instead of doing something worthwhile. As far as I know it has been proven that it is one of the best ways to improve a child’s hand eye coordination and to introduce them to computers just by playing some games. It keeps them off the streets as well. I personally know about some elderly people who do not know a thing about computers and yet they want to criticize other people. I don’t say it is all-good, because you get some very damaging content as well. I think with the right programs loaded it could do a whole lot of good. What a lot of people do not realize is that this is the future of tomorrow. So what do you guys think

Regards
    V/man
    Practise what you preach.

Banned
    While I do agree that "some" children (as well as adults) spend too much time in front of a computer. BUT it does beat spending hours on end in front of the idiot box! I'd rather have my child spend 5 hours on a computer then 5 hours watching tv.

You learn much more on a computer, and you learn it quicker. (ie: news take 10 minutes to talk a segment, it takes an average person 2 minutes to read the report (which is more indepth) on the net or newspaper)

The computer is a much better learning tool, which offers much more in return then anything else, you just have to take the time to learn how to use it and you're off.

Like V/man said, some content can be bad, but load netnanny, webadvisor and other control programs (as well as talk to your kids about surfing these kinds of sites) and you can let them learn more than you can imagine.

Growing up with video games and computers since age 3, my parents made sure to balance out computer/video game time and made sure I got some fresh air. It's not that computers are bad, it's parents aren't making their children get outside. I got so much time a day to play with the PC -- usually at night, or on rainy days. Else, I was playing with friends outside, riding bikes, skateboarding, shooting hoops, etc.

But I also learned alot through computers. Most TV is just mindless entertainment. Computers at least are interactive, and can provide much more. Hell, my Dad and I wrote math programs to help my sister learn. It's all about how it's used and parental supervision and involvement.

If people are saying computers are the problem, they're looking in the wrong place. Computers are tools -- used correctly, and they will improve our children for the better.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

Also computers offer many different areas of knowledge. If you wanted to learn about, barracuda hunting in Mexico during the month of September, you could find that. That's just an example, but it is so much better than TV, and like someone said on the streets. Hacking is better than doing drugs and you said some of the things you see on computers? Some of the things on the streets are pretty vulgar. There are husbands who beat wives in public, I just saw it a couple weeks ago, *sighs*. Just my thoughts.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

As with all things there must be balance. You cannot deny that having computer skills is quickly becoming a must for nearly all jobs, and this will be compounded in the future. The problem is that children who spend too much time on the computer tend to lack the social skills to fully function in the real world. Sure chat rooms help, but there is nothing like good old fashioned friends to develop people skills. On the net children can be exposed to things that you are not prepared for them to be exposed to, but the same goes everywhere else. But like tyger_claw said, I would rather see children in front of the computer than in front of a TV. At least with a computer they are having to use their brain.
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

i think it depends on the kid, like every thing else. With a computer you can learn about anything, but their are some kids, that only know, and i mean this, chat and kazaa. this is just as bad if not worse than the boob tube.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Old Fart
    I have to agree with Tedob on this one...it depends on the kid. I also liked what DG said about how his parents balanced his time out. Too much time in front of a computer can be a bad thing, depending on the content or activity.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

ugggg...my dad called one of my computers an idiot box once...I gave him a well deserved hell for that one...heh...Some people who know what they're doing should spend their time how they want on the computer...as long as they're not trying to sneak a peek at some sensitive microsoft document (bad example but you get my drift) what's the harm? Kids could be out snorting crack and shooting up god knows what....so as far as I can tell...parents don't really have much of a right to complain.

I agree- children need to have balance, excess in anything is bad. I believe a well rounded person get's further in life and enjoys it much more.

I hear many negitive refrences to television- but really think what makes it so bad. The television could be great tool as a computer could, but how many people sit in front of the TV for hours watching their share of the educational programs like on the History and Discovery channels.

Just playing devils advocate here so don't all go sending the Neg APs at me...

But does anyone see a problem with a kid spending 5 hours a day playing WarCraft III, Diablo II or Never Winter Nights, or just Chatting. The arguement here is that the computer is a knowledge tool so don't give it hard knocks. (I agree it CAN be) But it is also a gaming tool and a comunication tool (sometime with VERY NEGATIVE consequences) I know kids who just chat all the time. This is the only purpose for a computer is a glorified typewriter (Ohhh did I just say that, don't hurt me for it please...)

There has to be balance in a kids life. There is a epimenic of kids in society who are over-weight and outta shape (when you point a finger three are pointing back so I resemble this remark) and taking life from a sitting position doesn't help.

The key again is balance, balance, balance. But most kids don't want balance they want what they want and that is it....
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer