Thread: Finger Questions

Post Finger Questions

I had a quick couple quetions on the finger command/protocol. First, could I do a finger from DOS and how? Also, finger is generally in some programs but how exactly do they make finger go into program standard? Thank you for help.

The Iceman Cometh
    If you want to run a finger from DOS, simply go into the Command Prompt and type "finger" with the specified parameters. Here is some information regarding finger from the DOS prompt:

Displays information about a user on a specified system running the Finger service. Output varies based on the remote system.

FINGER [-l] [user]@host [...]

- -l Displays information in long list format

- user Specifies the user you want information about. Omit the user parameter to display information about all users on the specifed host.

- @host Specifies the server on the remote system whose users you want information about.
    As for whot tye make finger go into program standard, I can't answer that, because I'm not quite sure what you're asking...

AJ

Im asking how would I put that In C code or something. Sorry I wasn't specific about it. Anyone got links to Finger tutorials that work with DoS attacks and preventing them?

id like to add to what adven said, finger only comes with the NT based windows not 9x.

and agree with him: WTF is program standard?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

The Iceman Cometh
    If you want to use finger in C code, you'll have to use system("finger xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"). System can be found in (I believe) stdio.h. Another way, however, is to pick up some books on tcp/ip and similar networking protocol programming and they will give you more advanced ways of using finger and finger-like commands. If you're not an advanced/expert programmer, though, I don't think they'll be much help. I have heard from my professors that they think that many of the reference books I use are too complicated and in-depth even for them...

AJ

Does anyone even run finger damons anymore?
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Banned
    Finger Deamons are very rare nowadays....

/me flips off JRoc, heres your finger

If you want to use a DOS command in C/C++:

#include <stdlib.h>

Then use it like this: system("dos_command")

system("finger user@host");
    Hope this helped you out.
    ~TOXIC-RAM

Kwiep
    id like to add to what adven said, finger only comes with the NT based windows not 9x.
    I have had windows 95, 98 and 98se and they all had finger...
    Double Dutch

having the finger executable and being able to programmatically finger someone are two different things. to have and use 'finger' through a 'system' call, does save you < 100 lines of code. to do this programmatically, the basic outline is:

- mx lookup for user domain (if needed)
    - create and open tcp socket on mx host
    - query for user
    - retrieve results
    - close socket
    -droby10