Thread: company firewall dont detect modem connection

company firewall dont detect modem connection

Does your work place let you do MSN/chat?
    My company doesn't. We got firewall and my manager will find out that i am on chat...

so if you have internal modem other than LAN, the firewall wont detect that you r on chat...

he he he
    My kei-goh is Silver Wolf!

The Iceman Cometh
    Is chatting really that important that you have to dial-up to another connection while you're at work? The reason your administrator disabled the ability to use the chat client is because of loss of productivity... they pay you to work a certain amount of hours per week, and if you are chatting, you are not working. My suggestion is to just leave the chatting for your free time away from work...

AJ

I am assuming MSN messenger can do this, yahoo, aim, and ICQ can....

Why not just change the port that the MSN uses to port 80 ? Kinda fixes the problem right away...

Look for proxy settings or the like and use HTTP...you will still be able to use your messenger and won't have to deal with a crappy dialup connection...

On another note, I would strongly suggest you rethink what you are trying to do. I know if we catch one of our users dialing out and circumventing network protections, the penalties are severe, much less so than for what I just recommended. So if you must break your companies policy, try the proxies but keep in mind, your company might not appreciate that and might take action against you...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

nebulus, most business firewalls can ban an application and also filter arriving email and their attachments. I also would not attempt to get around a company policy, it is in place to protect company assets, and chat programs are considered a security threat because they all have file sharing and a virus could be passed into the network. Bets to leave such things alone at work do what they pay you to do and respect company policy they are there for the benefit of all users on a network.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Palemoon, I absolutely agree on the security risks inherit with messengers, perhaps unless you do something like a java version (but even that can have problems); however, I am curious what exactly you meant by business firewalls can ban an application...Which firewall? How, is it banning?...by port, by application layer proxies, by content filtering ? I am fully aware that there are a plithora of email programs that evaluate emails and their contents, antigen for example; however, I am not aware of a firewall ATM that can ban a specific program if that program has been setup to use a standard port (53 or 80 for example)...I suppose you could do some kind of packet content filtering, but I would think that to do so over multiple ports would be an intensive operation and lead to unwanted side effects like banning legitmate traffic...Either way, a specific firewall that could do this would probably be enough information for me to go read up on it...

Thanks,

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)