Thread: Newbies- 5 post grace!!

Newbies- 5 post grace!!

J.P.
    How about making it so that we cannot give antipoints to a newbie till after there 5th post
    All newbies make mistakes so lets give them a fair chance to show us they want to be here.
    After 5 posts its fair game
    regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

The Iceman Cometh
    My only complaint about that is the fact that newbies can ask quite a few stupid questions and/or cause a lot of problems within the community in only 5 posts. If they're first post is a bad post, they'll learn by receiving negatives. No one's ever been banned after only one post... if they make a mistake, they'll learn from it and work to improve upon it. This is just my opinion, though.

AJ

i was a newbie and made it through without causing trouble. they need to read the newbie tutorials and what not. i read them and they kept me out of trouble.

i agree with adven. some newbies just cause alot of trouble. for example. just recently there was the cat that posted the "pam anderson bubble gum thing." that was unnecessary, vulgar and had nothing to do with the site as it is. (and could have gotten a bunch of us in trouble had the wrong people been around at the right time.)

JMHO.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

I agree with AJ on this one. It also would not be fair for the users that have already gone through the point system as it is. Most users also point out what is at fault in the post. So in many ways newbies are given chances to correct their posts.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

My 2c: That's why the FAQ was made. We all have seen the newbies with nothing to lose making unncessary trouble. I say not to give an inch lest they take a mile. I have to agree with avdven on this one.

However, I *do* get tired of newbies that are trying to learn something legit and getting slammed with negs because it seems too trivial to another or that they are easy pickings for balancing. The best advice I can give to newbies is to really watch what you post for the first 100 posts, and make sure you *do not* post a whine thread about how you got negged if you indeed got negged; simply count your losses and move on and continue making intelligent posts.

Advden basically said it for me

Banned
    ok ill stand by mike on this one, but not quite..... what if they got the APs but they were greys...... that way theyd be learning without neciceraly being penalised for not knowing, those that continue to be opnoxus will have the wrath of the APs on them if they dont figure it out fast...... just kinda seems like a fair middle ground to me

The Iceman Cometh
    LoggOff, the question is, will a few grey points really make a difference and convince someone to stop? Grey dots may serve as a warning, but honestly, how many of us heed warnings without any kind of punishment? I know that, generally, I don't. Granted, I'll listen to the warning, but that doesn't mean I'll change. They have to learn that it's not ok to post certain things. If you want a middle ground, the only way to do that would be to lessen the impact of negatives (though you'd have to do the same for positives, to be fair) that they receive when making their first few posts.

AJ

Banned
    fair enuf, tru about not changing anything if you dont feel the reprocussions..... hmmmm what about something like a newbie stash of APs, you start and recive real APs but they get wiped clean after a set time period? thatd be like a newbie grace also and then they get the reprocussions...... itd be kinda like how crimes commited as a minor stay locked away (well acorning to the TV and we all bleive them, dont we?) after we come of age.....

Banned
    Greetings:

I agree with everyone else, this is probably not the best of ideas.

In reality, they do get 1 free-be. A user can not receive enough negative antipoints in 1 thread to be banned, as the thread kills itself first. So, this gives the user the chance to read the warning notice that would then appear on the front page for them.

Other than that, all users receive an e-mail when they register with the link to the rather extensive site FAQ, not to mention all of the advise in the tutorial and newbie forums.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it!