Thread: NAV script virus detection

NAV script virus detection

I just updated my NAV 2001, (my win95 can't run 2002) and I got a norton antivirus update, after I downloaded it, an explanation for it came up:

LiveUpdate for Norton AntiVirus 2001

This update includes ScriptBlocking technology for proactive detection of script based viruses. To use ScriptBlocking, the following software must be installed before updating Norton AntiVirus:
    · Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 (Internet Explorer 5.0 recommended)
    · Microsoft Windows Scripting Host (included in Internet Explorer 5.0)

For information on installing Windows Scripting Host, visit the Microsoft website.

If you would like this LiveUpdate to continue, click OK. If you do not want this LiveUpdate to be applied, click Cancel.

I figure that feature is already in the beta 2003, has anybody tested this feature out yet? Does it work well? And are there many script viruses out there?

The Iceman Cometh
    The Script blocking was also added to 2002 in a LiveUpdate. I've had some good experiences with it on my machine with NAV2002. If I were you, I'd upgrade to IE 5.01 or 5.5 (at least) simply to allow you some more security on your machine (if you haven't done so already) and then you can install ScriptBlocking if you want. The advantage is, you can enable or disable it from the main window, so if you don't like it, you can simply disable the scriptblocking feature and you'll be back to normal.

AJ

I have 5.5 and i did install scriptblocking, but where did you say I could enable or disable the feature? Um, you mean the main windows of NAV? I see it in the options menu. I don't suppose you know of any reviews of it?

The Iceman Cometh
    Sorry, I'm not used to using NAV2002. You are correct... it is in the "Options" menu, not the main NAV window. I'm so used to simply openning the options directly without going to the main window, that I didn't even think of it.

As for reviews, I haven't really seen or read anything. It's worked for me a few times, though, especially catching JavaScript virii. Basically, it detects certain scripts that could be considered viruses without the need for specific virus definitions, sometimes allowing your computer to protect itself from virii even if the virus definitions you have installed are not designed to handle that virus.

AJ

NAV script blocking

You might want to try IE 5.5 Service Pack 2 and then download the script blocking feature of NAV 7.0 (2001).

Just a thought.

BTW, are you running Win95b?