Thread: linux install help

Exclamation linux install help

Hi people

Well im here again asking for help with my linux mandrake 8.2

Ok now i was gonna install my linux mandrake 8.2 and i went through the setup to the point were i had to partition my drive. can some one help me with this. I am scared that im gonna lose my windows if i do something wrong. Some tips and hopefully some links would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks ahead of time and feel free to ask any questions.

[glowpurple]Favyan[/glowpurple]
    the computer was the best invention ever made if you agree with me say I

The Iceman Cometh
    Well, hopefully you already have your important information in Windows backed up right (just in case)? A question about partitioning, do you already have part of the disk allocated for Linux or not? Or do you only have one drive/partition which the disk partitioning program must break up in order to install Linux?

AJ

EDIT: Maybe this'll help get you started: User Guide: Disks and Partitions.

Best choice for a newbie to a prompt is to get a partition program with a GUI, like partition magic. They'll do the job for you, and I am not sure for mandrake, but, for my red hat, if I chose the server option, it automatically overwrites the drive, everything including windows. Be careful about that, there are many partition programs that can help you partition. Do a search on google, some are more complicated than others though, so stick to something simple that'll get you through the process.

From memory when you reach that point Mandrake will show you your Windows partition and the freespace left on the drive. If you click on the freespace it will give you the option of how much space you wish to allocate to linux. Once committed it will partition the drive automatically. Your windows partition will remain untouched.

The Mandrake install CD has an interactive tutorial which I highly recommend you look at first.

Also have a look here:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/dem...ke8.2/Install/

It is essential that you defrag windows before installing linux.

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    Best choice for a newbie to a prompt is to get a partition program with a GUI, like partition magic. They'll do the job for you, and I am not sure for mandrake, but, for my red hat, if I chose the server option, it automatically overwrites the drive, everything including windows. Be careful about that, there are many partition programs that can help you partition. Do a search on google, some are more complicated than others though, so stick to something simple that'll get you through the process.
    Actually, I have had the opprotunity to install Mandrake 8.2 (as well as prior versions.) Mandrake has a graphical installation (I believe it uses the framebuffer rather than X, but don't quote me on that.) The installation is a very intuitive process, and the partitioning tool detects all NTFS, FAT, EXT2/3, Reiserfs, HPFS, Minix, etc, filesystems just fine. In fact, by default, it will NOT format any partitions that aren't native to Linux, I.E FAT/NTFS.

Personally, I would never shell out the cash for something that will format my harddrive when everything I need is available for free licensed under the GPL.

--Sudo

You don't need to pay any money, there are free partitioning programs available from vendors. I just think it is better if he is getting nevous at the prompt. That way he knows he hasn't deleted his windows partition.