Networking...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Networking...

Question Networking...

Ok this is something I have been wondering about for a while now.

I need to know if there is any way to share a dial up connection through a hub connecting two computers together.

I know that you can connect a DSL connection or a Cable modem directly to the hub and that works.

I also know that you can have the internet connection on one computer and share that with the other. But what I really what to know is, if there is anyway for both computers to be independent and dial up through the hub.

Is this even possible...?
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Quick anwser: no... not directly...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Im not to sure never tried this, but you might with internet sharing in your internet explorer settings. Again not to sure but it might work.

The Iceman Cometh
    First off, connecting a DSL or Cable modem to your hub may not necessarily work. Generally you need a router in order to route the traffic to each individual computer. As for connecting indepedently through the hub, no, you can't. The best bet would be to just use ICS. You can configure it so that if you're other computer needs to connect to the 'net, it will automatically dial-up the modem in the other computer to gain access.

AJ

Re: Networking...

Originally posted here by cutty
    I need to know if there is any way to share a dial up connection through a hub connecting two computers together.
    Yes, you may have the internet connection on one computer and share that with the other.

Originally posted here by cutty
    But what I really what to know is, if there is anyway for both computers to be independent and dial up through the hub.
    It would be impossible to have one system dial up, occupy the phone line and have another attempt to dial out. The phone line would already be in use. If you are looking for a way to split the phone line so one or the other can dial out with out having to reconnect the phone line to each PC, you could use a two way RJ-11 splitter. Otherwise, unless you some connection that allows your PC to connect and will allow another item to dial out on the same line....

Its Not Gonna Happen...

Lightbulb

Thanks guys. I think I am getting to the core of this problem.

Joey_Batch_File you mentioned:

If you are looking for a way to split the phone line so one or the other can dial out with out having to reconnect the phone line to each PC, you could use a two way RJ-11 splitter.
    Ok tell me this. If I use that splitter where do I connect the phone line, to the hub or to one PC?

Again, with this splitter will either PC be able to connect to the internet independent of each other. Meaing that if one is turned off the other can dial up and when the one that was turned off is turned on it can join in on that same connection and vise versal?
    Cutty

The Iceman Cometh
    I can answer that. Simply connect the phone splitter the phone outlet in the wall. Connect each computer to the splitter via a phone line. You will be able to dial up with a computer as long as the line isn't busy. Once you are connected to the Internet with one computer, you will have to wait until you have disconnected that computer before you can connect with the other one. Any place which sells the splitters can give you a demonstration how to do it.

AJ

Sorry avdven but I already know that. I just wanted to know if there was a way, in other words, to create mutual servers. Which ever computer connects first becomes the server on the network. So that, either computer doesn't need to dial in through the other.

All due respect...
    Cutty

The Iceman Cometh
    There are (expensive) ways to do that, though I wouldn't recommend any of them to an individual. If you need detailed information about such products, you can PM me and I can help you, though it's going to cut a pretty big hole in your wallet... Do you need to share your Internet access? If it's that big of a deal, I would honestly just go with ICS, setting up one of the computers as a server. Why do you need the Internet server to be interchangable? In a peer-to-peer network situation, there's no need to have dual Internet sharing servers. Just set up one up as an ICS server and the other as a client and you're set. Honestly, in my opinion, that's going to be the absolute easiest method (also the least expensive).

AJ

Thanks avdven. ...

I guess I will stick to the server option. I was just wondering because my roomate keeps turning off his computer and the connection I created was on his machine since his machine was faster. I will just have to get him to keep it turned on.

Peace

Cutty
    Cutty