Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shell Accounts

Shell Accounts

I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me where to get a good usable shell account not one thats so limited it's worthless.

The Iceman Cometh
    Did you even bother to read the Newbie FAQ? You should search for questions in the archives before posting a question.

Here are some previous threads covering the same topic:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=232316
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=230749

AJ

did you do a search on the main page for threads about shell accts? If not, its a good idea to search before posting, but to save you the trouble, you cant find any good ones unless you are willing to pay for them, as most are limited because of script kiddies abusing them.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

sorry bout that didn't think about using the search on the site

And did you want to get a free shell account? Those are usually the only accounts that are limited and don't have access to utilities. If you are looking to pay for one, then there are lots of good options for you, do a search on google for something like "cheap shell". You'll get lots of sites. Look for something between $5-10, if you are seeing shells for higher $10, don't bother, you don't need them.

The best shell account available to any user is set up by that user himself. Get it? If you want a good, fully functional shell, I would recommend that you set up a machine with that ability. It's not all that hard to do these days. All you need is 486 or better w/ 32mb ram, maybe a 1GB hdd. Networking support through ethernet or dial up would be available to you. In all reality you could potentially find a decent paid account, but again, the best will be the one that is setup specifically for you and that is best done through your own machine.

otherwise, a quick google search should get you more than enough information on various shell providers and what they offer.

Hope this helps.

[edit]
    should you go the route of setting up yer own box, linux systems may be a good place for you to start. get linux free. http://linuxiso.org/
    [/edit]
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    And did you want to get a free shell account? Those are usually the only accounts that are limited and don't have access to utilities. If you are looking to pay for one, then there are lots of good options for you, do a search on google for something like "cheap shell". You'll get lots of sites. Look for something between $5-10, if you are seeing shells for higher $10, don't bother, you don't need them.
    Yes, khakisrule is right. However, I don't see the reasoning for renting a shell when it is so much easier, and more flexible, to install *nix on your own hardware.

I can only really think of one reason, and that is the ability to have a fast, dedicated connection to the internet. Even though the speed isn't really any issue considering the drive quota is typically very low for shell accounts (especially free and cheap ones.) I guess there is always those who wish to run an "eggdrop," but those are usually prohibited on most shells anyways.

In the past, shells were widely used for the development tools, IRC, and email that was easily accesed through a shell. But now (with many opensource OSs available at anyones fingertoips), I don't see why so many people are asking about where they can get a shell.

Maybe someone could enlighten me as to why a shell would be beter than *nix on your own hardware?

--Sudo

The Iceman Cometh
    Sudo, the only reason I can give you why a shell would be better than a dedicated *nix box is because a lot of people only have one computer and do not have the money nor the reason to buy another one. Shell accounts will allow you to experiment with *nix systems (at least basic commands) up until you have the ability to install a dedicated *nix workstation either at home or at your office.

AJ

Originally posted here by avdven
    Sudo, the only reason I can give you why a shell would be better than a dedicated *nix box is because a lot of people only have one computer and do not have the money nor the reason to buy another one. Shell accounts will allow you to experiment with *nix systems (at least basic commands) up until you have the ability to install a dedicated *nix workstation either at home or at your office.

AJ
    Ok, well let me present you with a few options in a situation such as the one you describe:

a) http://www.vmware.com
    b) http://www.cygwin.com/
    c) Various other emulators

These allow you to run *nix in windows, without the restrictions that a shell would have.

--Sudo

The Iceman Cometh
    True, but have you had good experiences with any of those? I was forced to use cygwin for a few months for a research project I was involved in and never quite got it working with the components I needed. Part of the project involved recompiling the kernel to allow access to certain features, but once it was recompiled they never quite worked. The components ran flawlessly on a Linux machine at home office, though. Just a problem with cygwin. And VMWare, while a nice product isn't free and for someone on a tight budget, is not really worth it. If they have the money to buy VMWare, they would have enough to buy an older system to install some *nix flavor upon it.

AJ