Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shell Accounts

For about the cost of $50 (U.S.) you could find a P133 or something of the like that will work more than sufficiently as a headless *nix box. Check it out here. There are machines that are available w/ monitors for $50 (U.S.) - shipping is negotiated between seller and buyer, so there is potential that regardless of location you could take advantage of this.

If you are willing to pay for a shell account, I would recommend these guys : http://www.hardlink.net/Services/shells.html
    I've never used them, but I've known people that have and have been fairly happy.

Good luck.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Originally posted here by avdven
    True, but have you had good experiences with any of those? I was forced to use cygwin for a few months for a research project I was involved in and never quite got it working with the components I needed. Part of the project involved recompiling the kernel to allow access to certain features, but once it was recompiled they never quite worked. The components ran flawlessly on a Linux machine at home office, though. Just a problem with cygwin.
    Hmm, that's weird.

And VMWare, while a nice product isn't free and for someone on a tight budget, is not really worth it. If they have the money to buy VMWare, they would have enough to buy an older system to install some *nix flavor upon it.
    Yah, I totally agree with that. But atleast they give you a free 30 day trial to test drive it.

However, those are not the only two options. There is always dual booting. You can make a very slim install of *nix if all you want is a shell and a few "killer apps." 500 MB would be the maximum amount that you would need to install most *nix OSs including apps.

If there is a will. There is a way.

--Sudo

chefer: awesome site man, I never knew you could find old parts so easily and in abundance, thanks man. I think I may make myself a shell account
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

The Iceman Cometh
    If there is a will. There is a way.
    Too true. The problem I had with cygwin was recompiling the kernel to intergrate portions of the IBM ViaVoice SDK. That was why I ended up abandoning ViaVoice for Linux and going with NaturallySpeaking and ViaVoice for Windows instead.

Regarding shells, though, I used to use some shells before I had Linux and Unix machines of my own, but that was back before people really wanted them and there were no restrictions upon them. If you have some money to spend, I'd take chefer's suggestion:

For about the cost of $50 (U.S.) you could find a P133 or something of the like that will work more than sufficiently as a headless *nix box.
    Not only would you have the shell you want, but you'd also have administrative access, giving you the opportunity to learn a great deal more than you would with a simple shell account.

AJ

Problem with setting up your own shell, is that your IP gets printed on everything. The best thing about payed shells, is running bots like eggdrops, and running things like BNCs and PSYBNCs, and you can offer to trade BNCs and PSYBNCs for valuable things to. There are markets where you can trade shells, BNCs, and PSYBNCs for pretty much anything else. And lots of good shell providers have OC3 connections now, really fast, they support lots of cool features. But if you don't plan on doing anything like that, then of course set up your own shell. And sudo, are you picking on me or something?

If you want to run an eggdrop, emech, bnc, etc. you'll need a non-stop internet connection!
    Don't know about you guys but here, in ROmania, during the day, the internet is 1 US dollar per hour! We simply can't afford to stay non-stop, and even if we could afford, we would get disconnected by the ISP after 10-11 hours, because of the low performance telephone network
    ...We were like the 5 musketeers, and the 3 of us, made quite a duo.... !!!

You don't have to have a permanent connection. My friend runs an eggdrop service for efnet, he regularly takes hit system down and looks through the bot scripts and add stuff that he thinks is cool and then puts the bots back online. You only need/want a permanent connection if you need a bot to protect a channel, because somebody might attempt a takeover.

Sudo i would have replied earlier but just got back on. The reason most ppl want a shell is because like me(i don't care if u flame me but i won't lie) they are new to hacking and all tutorials u read are old and outdated so they say u need a shell account. Unix is not that easy to use or learn to use well enough to be able to hack from it. Most ppl also don't have several hundred $ to spend on books to learn to use unix. Yeah i know everyone here will say search the web for something. Most stuff i can ever find on the net is old so it does little good if any at all. Thats y so many ppl ask about shell accounts.

In reality, we know what most newbies that are asking about shell accounts are looking do. If you are looking to learn anything and if you are serious about learning it, then I highly recommend you go and build your own *nix box. You are admin and you can learn all you like on your own home network.
    If you want to learn anything from the people here, then stick around and read a lot, cause there is tons of information old and new that just passes through these forums. Check out the tutorials, there is tons of info there. You really want to start learning things, then I recommend you get to reading RFC's on networking and the like. Further your reading with Security info, like that at http://www.securityfocus.com/ http://xatrix.org. Only then will you be prepped to actually know how to do anything. Learn how to secure a machine and you will be okay. Learn to destroy a machine and you will go to jail.
    Any which way, if you are learning security realted stuff, the best thing you could do is build yer own *nix box.
    Think about it.
    Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Originally posted here by JediKnight-Yoda
    The reason most ppl want a shell is because like me(i don't care if u flame me but i won't lie) they are new to hacking and all tutorials u read are old and outdated so they say u need a shell account.
    Hacking? Hacking what? And what tutorials are you talking about? Shells are not for "hacking," and this site is not a place to be discussing that.
    Unix is not that easy to use or learn to use well enough to be able to hack from it.
    Good, that prevents people like you from trying to be Mr. l337 Hax0r

Most ppl also don't have several hundred $ to spend on books to learn to use unix. Yeah i know everyone here will say search the web for something. Most stuff i can ever find on the net is old so it does little good if any at all.
    Well you obviously haven't put any effort at all into looking for information regarding *nix, or else you wouldn't have made such an ignorant statement. Just about everything you need to know can be found using a search engine, message boards, IRC, Newsgroups, and other online references. Although it doesn't hurt to buy a few books on the subject, they are not required.

Thats y so many ppl ask about shell accounts.
    What do you think just because you have a shell account you will automatically know how to use it? Get real kid...

--Sudo