Learning, possible WSH

Thread: Learning, possible WSH

Banned

Learning, possible WSH

OK, well I was looking at ntsa's tutorials because I am interested in a language that is easy to use and code in a windows environment, and that I can use with the net. So I was looking at ntsa's tutorials and saw that he was, scripting in WSH, well, seems like a good idea, so I was wondering is WSH a good language to learn for what I want? And what are some good resources to learn from? I did a search but lots of them are development tools or script libraries. So can somebody plz help me out here?

A good place to start online (basic tutoria) : http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...azaar/WSH2.htm

Aside from that, I've never really gotten involved in it, so I don't really have anything else beyond that.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Banned
    Um, before I had to reinstall windows, because my computer crashed, I had cscript.exe on my system, I don't know where I installed it from, I got the vb6 runtime files, no cscript, can anybody point me in the direction of a download for those VBScript files??

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention, I am looking for v 5.5 or 5.1 because 5.6 will not run on my win95 system.

EDIT:
    Now I have 5.5 which should run on win95, but I get errors registering whsom.ocx, can anybody help me with that please??

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/de...sdn_wsh_wp.asp

there is a link in here for those that are looking to install WSH on win 95 machines.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Banned
    Thanks for the links. Got 5.5 working, still looking to get scripting with vbscript, I am going to look at automating some tasks, ntsa's tutorials should help with that. But if anybody else has some great links, they would be very appreciated.

Ninja Code Monkey
    wsh is not a language. It is a scripting environment for windows that allows you to use javascript, vbscript, perl (if you have the correct software installed), etc. You probably already have some example scripts on your box just do a search for .vbs and .js scripts. There are some good things on it at http://msdn.microsoft.com as well as other places on the net (check google). There are also some other good books on it, just check amazon to find em.

Finally, if you're gonna play with wsh I'd learn the basics of com (instantiating objects, etc). It will make it much easier to write scripts to deal with the operating system and other activex executables (such as ms office and internet explorer).

If you have the chance get vb. If you don't want to learn to code with vb that is fine and dandy (tho it is VERY easy to write wsh scripts with vbscript code). USE the vb object browser to explore the object libraries stored on your computer. You can find a huge number of com components on your computer that you can use for all kinds of automation.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Banned
    I know that WSH isn't a language. It is a scripting enviro that whose engine support Jscript and VBSsript. But I have seen tutorials on coding with vbscript specificly for WSH, and I was wondering if anybody could me with what. I am still trying to learn vbscript, but most of the tutorials I see, are for making web pages, that isn't what I want.