Hollywood hacking
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood hacking

Banned

Hollywood hacking

Mesa was watching TSS just now, (I got jar jar on the brain) and heard the story about how hollywood is lobbying the U.S. government to allow them broader powers to protect their copyrights. That part is from an online story, from TSS I heard that they want to be able to do things like hack file sharing networks to protect their copyrighted software, hmm, methinks me hears violation of civil liberties. Because most file sharing networks now use the gnutella protocol, which makes file sharing connect 2 single computers instead of going through a central server. That is some bad stuff, I better get me firewall ready, and jot down any IP addresses that come my way, and then I'll have to get my revenge on them. But seriously, that is scary stuff, what if they get even a little of the power they want, it could be serious trouble for file sharing networks, which in my opinion is why IRC is still and will always be, and has been for a long time the ultimate file sharing network. After all, on IRC, the servers can protect you, on IRC you can make a channel secret, and many IRC servers are hosted by people with bandwidth to spare & small companies that have bandwidth to spare, companies that would most likely do all they can to protect you. Maybe kazaa users could come up with something to help protect the users. We'll have to see if copyright owners get any power, here is to hoping they don't.

khakisrule > It wouldnt suprise me to see hollywood suing, and then if they loose, just ddos'ing filesharing systems off the net. I agree on the IRC thing, and lets not forget private ftp servers or old fashioned email, thou email wouldnt be too useful for sending large programs, but mainly mp3s.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Banned
    Yes, FTP servers are pretty useful, although, unfortunately, easily brute forced, and many cracks are commonplace for FTP servers. And yes, e-mail would be a pretty good idea for mp3s but then people's ISPs would start cracking down on people clogging up their servers, and I doubt any web based e-mail providers would let people send attachments that large.

where in hell have you people been? they've been doing this for over year now, publicly. They lobbied during the passing of the patriot act, to include a section in it to provide them protection from litigation for damages under 5000 dollars, to PRIVATE computers, that occur while they are protecting their property, breaking into computers and deleting illegle copies of their files. their request was turned down, and i still think they should be prosecuted under the clause that makes it a crime to try to profit from sept 11th. The point is its no great secret. Theres been quit allot published about their methods of DoSing the P2P servers that are sharing their files.

our governments know and condones their actions. nothing was done about it, we lost.

if you really want to find out more about it just do a forum search on it, its was a much discussed topic at the time it was happening, petitions were signed, letters sent, but it seems, just not enough people cared, were too busy downloading mp3s or they thought it was a good thing.

sorry didn't mean to wake you.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    where in hell have you people been?
    Geez man, I didn't know, don't have to freak out on me. I didn't know, I am not american, so I don't usually follow american news much. Sorry for my ignorance, I'll do a search though and read up on it.
    sorry didn't mean to wake you.
    Wake who???

Old Fart
    Want to read a little bit about it? Use the following....
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-945720.html

Just to give you a little quick background....Hollywood wants congress to give them a legal right to hack the systems of private citizens to combat piracy. They say that is not their intent, but it is infact exactly what it gives them the right to do. In other words, what would get you or I sentenced to life in prison would be perfectly legal for movie studios and the record industry. I think what we need here is a grass roots movement that lets all of our reps in Washington know that a vote for this bill means a vote for whomever their opponent is in the next election. If we don't take a stand now, we end up with a government "of the corporations, for the corporations, and by the corporations". And people, we are perilously close to that already. All you have to do is a simple email to your representatives and senators and state your position on this matter, along with your intention to actively campaign against them should they reject the voice of their constituents. Get 'em where it hurts, in the voting booth!! I took the liberty of providing links to both houses...send them an email and then give us a post to let us know you let your voice be heard.

U.S. Senate:
    http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm

.U.S. House of Representatives:
    http://clerk.house.gov/members/index.php
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Ted is right in short unless your a corp such things are allowed you do it face your own country's laws. Corps want it both ways reverse engineer a competor is ok a student or researcher that may reverse engineer is criminal..At lest the realty of the DMCA in the US. Corps have the legal right to DDos but you cannot?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    Yeah. Corps can hire the best security pofessionals money can buy and then beat the crap out of your computer online, whereas you, must learn everything by yourself, and attempt to safeguard your computer as best you can. Seems pretty bad. Imagine doing everything you can because you just downloaded star wars, and then you firewall yourself up something good, and rectrict access to pretty much everything. And then you find out your files are deleted, because somebody found an exploit with your firewall. That would be insane, an invasion of personal property. And how could the average user protect against that?? And Palemoon, , that is the first time I have read a post of yours in a thread I started that wasn't hard to understand, .

Old Fart
    Here is a little bit more info for you good people out there. This link will take you to a commentary written by Howard Berman...the very man who wants to give big corporations these rights. FYI, he represents the 26th district of California...are you listening, voters?

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-943031.html

Just to clarify, I do not condone theft of intellectual property or copywritten material....but I don't support the loss of my privacy either. If you want to hack into my home, be prepared to have an a**-load of silicon-buckshot coming your way.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

What would happen if hollyword hacked a system not in the US? Would they not be breaking the law of another country?