Thread: Military alters its airwaves for consumers

Military alters its airwaves for consumers

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon has agreed to shift some military communications to other frequencies, freeing up space in the airwaves for advanced mobile phones and other wireless gadgets, the Bush administration announced Tuesday.

more here...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industr....ap/index.html
    freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude

freedom aint free

Okay, if international companies started programming their electronic devices to work on the same frequency we use for military strategics. Don't you think if these items were brought into the US, and someone was able to interfer will the militarys frequency there would be some problems. Hey John, check this out. I can guide a missle to knock out the school with my cell phone. So I can counter your program w/ my PDA and guide the missle to make out tower...

hehe...

yeah its kinda funny that the military said that they did not want to release their hold on the frequency/band because of national security risks, so the obvious question - why the shift?
    Since when did national security take a back seat to making cell companies happy???

Would be kinda cool tho to have a missle guidance prog on your palm.
    freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude

freedom aint free

Seriously, I believe the shift came, because of the possiblity I made fun of in my previous post. There could be a possibility of interference or unauthorized monitoring. If another company is freely using this bandwidth, and the find a way to alter the the frequency to scan our bands. They are bound to pick up something. So why are we going to stay on the frequency that is being internationally used for telecommunications?