Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSI nVidia GeForce MX a fraud ???

Exclamation MSI nVidia GeForce MX a fraud ???

I have the following components in my computer:
    - Intel Pentium III Coppermine Processor - 751 MhZ
    - SOYO SY-7VBA 133 Motherboard (VIA Apollo Pro 133 AGP/PCI Motherboard)
    - 128 Mb of DDram (i think.. i'm not sure about that..)
    - MSI nVidia GeForce 2 MX - 32 Megs
    - VIA Sound OnBoard
    - Windows XP Professional
    ..and i have the following problem:
    When i play a game, with the setting for my computer (medium detail, recommended for these computer hardware setting) it makes about 15 fps, wich is unacceptable! In games like Quake 3 or Counter-Strike i get about 30 frames, on a 800x600 screen resolution, medium detail..!
    On 3D Mark 2000 i get about 2000 points, and on 3D Mark 2001 i get about 1000 points... which is again unacceptable...! I tried programs like nVMax.. but the performances i got were even worse..! I have the latest drivers for my GeForce straight from nVidia.com, and for my mainboard and soundcard also..! By the way.. on windows ME/98 on 3D Mark 2000 i've got 1000 points, and on 3D Mark 2001, about 600 points...! On the medium detail tests in 3D Mark 2001 it was doing only 1 fps ! Pleez help me....!
    ...We were like the 5 musketeers, and the 3 of us, made quite a duo.... !!!

The Iceman Cometh
    Check out MSI's support:
    http://www.msicomputer.com/support/msi_support.asp

Check to see if you can get newer drivers there (than the ones from nVidia, since it's a third party card with a nVidia chipset). That may resolve the problems.

AJ

You do have a problem. On 800x600 res you should have a frame rate of +/- 84
    with your card
    Do you have the latest nVida detornator drivers
    Also remember this is an entry level card and runs at half the bandwith of the nVida tnt cards

Regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

I've got the latest drivers from nVidia, and none of them raised my fps rate

All I can say is you have an MX card their refresh rate is not so hot, I think there is another one TX? In short a hardware problem in spite of 32 megs bump up to 64 and anything but a MX.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

In games like Quake 3 or Counter-Strike I get about 30 frames, on an 800x600 screen resolution, medium detail..!
    I had a similar system before I upgraded and 30 fps sounds about right for your system specs. Get another 128 Megs of ram and a geforce 4MX 64meg or radeon 7500 64meg ddr. That should come in less than 150 dollars and all your games should run fine.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

You could overclock it but that would get a little risky

I'm afraid of overcloacking it! If un-overcloacked, it has these performances, then overcloacking it would mean death for sure..

u could just add a fan or 2 or a heatsink and you could probably overclock it 20-30 mhz. But i burned out my old Intel Celeron 333 by overclocking it to 416 without adding fans it burned up in a year. Or you could not take the risk and buy yourself a new card. But if your actually going to overclock it you can search Google

Check your BIOS options, such as your AGP apeture size, just in case.

I use a GF2 GTS 32mb on my 400mhz Pentium II, 128mb ram, computer. (Intel 440BX motherboard or some such weirdness, I plan to build a new rig very soon.)

Anyway, I don't have problems with Quake 3, Half life, etc. One thing to try, I know it's a long shot, is open the dxdiag.exe program (just go START->RUN->"dxdiag"), it helps debug DirectX stuff. Then go to the DISPLAY tab, and make sure "AGP texture acceleration" is ENABLED. If it is greyed out, you may need to test it first. I know it sounds weird, but I once had problems with my old video card even in OpenGL mode due to the fact that the "AGP Texture acceleration" option was off.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency